Chapter One

"Thank you so much for helping me move in." I hug my mom. I just moved into my first apartment in Baltimore. I pull away from my mom and I see that she has tears streaming down her face.

"Mom, please don't cry. You'll make me cry." I laugh as my mom sniffles and wipes away her tears.

"Okay, sweetie. If you need anything I am only an hour away." I hug my mom again and I begin to tear up.

"I love you."

"I love you too, Anabelle." I watch my mom walk out the door of my new apartment. This is a bittersweet moment. I'm happy to be on my own but I am going to miss my mom.

The next chapter of my life starts now.

My apartment is a small studio apartment. Just one big room with a kitchen, living room/bedroom. There is a small closet and a small bathroom. The walls are off-white and the floor is a light brown hardwood. I don't have a bed frame so my mattress is on the floor. The only furniture that I have is a coffee table, a T.V stand, a dresser, and four bar stools for the hightop table that came with the apartment.

I'm a little nervous for my first day at work tomorrow, but I need the money if I'm going to be able to pay rent. I'm starting at a really cute café in the inner harbor.

*The next morning*

*BEEP BEEP BEEP*

I wake up to the blaring noise of my alarm clock. "Ugh, 5 am?" I whine as I press snooze. I am not a morning person at all. My shift starts at 8 am but I need to shower and get ready, and unfortunately, that takes me forever to do.

*7:30 am*

I run out of my apartment and down to the street and I began to walk to the café which thankfully is only 10 minutes away. I'm so happy I moved to Baltimore. I love that I can pretty much walk everywhere. I do have my car here but I figured I'd walk to school, a little exercise never hurt anyone.

I get to the café and the front do is locked. Great. I knock on the tinted glass door and a lady runs up to the door and opens it.

"Hi. Can I help you?" She asks confused as if I'm some random person off the street hoping to get some early coffee.

"Hi, my name is Ana. Today is my first day here." I say as confident as I could even though I was pretty nervous.

"Oh! Hi! I'm Veronica, your manager." Veronica opens the door further so I can get inside. She looks my thin frame up and down analyzing my body and the clothes that I put on my back. I threw on light wash jeans and a burgundy sweater this more before leaving my apartment.

"Come with me. I have an apron for you in the back." I follow her to the back and she hands me a light pink apron with the Café's logo on it.

"Okay, so the register is really simple to work as is the coffee machines." Veronica shows me all of the ropes and by the end of my training it was 9 am and the coffee shops doors are open for the day. Two of my new co-workers walk into the coffee shop, one has long purple hair and she has on black jeans, a grey top under a leather jacket, and the other on has short brown hair and he has on plain blue jeans and a navy blue v-neck.

"Hey, you must be the new girl. I'm Toni, and this is Kyle." The girl with the purple hair introduces herself and the guy that came in with her.

"Yeah, hey. I'm Ana." I smile and laugh nervously. They both look me up and down as they both go to the back to grab their aprons. I don't think that Toni likes me very much, and if Kyle is like her than he probably doesn't like me either.

*Four hours later*

A few hours had past and I only messed up one order so far! It was not that big of a deal considering it is my first day. However, I do think that I am picking this up fairly quickly. As I am wiping down the counters I hear the doorbell chime. I look up and I see this very attractive guy walk in. He has dark hair loosely pushed back, black jeans, a black v-neck, and a black leather jacket. From what I could see he has emerald green eyes. As I am checking this guy out he makes direct eye contact with me and smirks.

"A.J! What are you doing here?" Toni walks out of the back and asks him.

"I wanted to ask you if you wanted to come with me and the guys later to this little get together on the other of town." He smirks.

"Of course." She looks up at him and bites her lip.

"I'll see you later then." He bends down and kisses her. My jaw drops and I turn around quickly and continue to wipe down the counter. Of course, Toni would be dating the one hottie to walk in. I hear him leave and then I feel a presence behind me.

"Keep your eyes off of my boyfriend." Toni says in a threating tone.

"I had no idea that he was your boyfriend. I just moved here yesterday." I throw my hands up in defense. She looks me up and down and then walks away.

"Ana, your shift is just about over. Let me show you how to clock out." I walk to the back and take off my apron and place it on the hook and then go to where Veronica is standing. She shows me to clock out and I walk out of the café.

I can't get that guys eyes out of my head. I know that I should not find him attractive because well there's their obvious reason. He's dating Toni. But then there's the other reason. He is not my type at all, I usually go for the guys that are "good guys", but there is something about him. I'm not sure what that thing is though but I have a feeling I'm going to find that out.