Prologue

Prologue

    "Okay Marcus lets go!"

    "You got this man!"

    I herd those shouts coming from my team mates in the dugout at i advanced on the plate. We were down by one and the tying man is on second. It is up to me to drive him in so we can keep the game going. I put one foot in the batters box, the the next. I stood up still with my bad resting on my shoulder as I stared down the pitcher. The man on the mound, Luke Sullivan, one of the show off, big shot Seniors at Colonial High School. Just cause his dad made millions as a doctor he thinks that he's better than everyone else. He's a great pitcher though, but only because his dad forked out thousands so his son could be tough by the biggest names in the big leagues.

    Luke shook his head once at the catcher, then nodded. I went down into my batting stance and watched him go into his windup. Then he hurled the ball right at my face. I stood my ground waiting and watching the ball. It got closer to my face every split second, My reflexes told me to duck but i knew better and I watched the ball start to curve over toward the plate but it went too low and ended up in the dirt.

    "Good eye man, good eye" yelled our First baseman Dustin from the dugout

    "Good eye, wait for your pitch" Said coach Dalian.

    I got back in the betters box and stared down Luke again. He nodded to the catcher and began his windup. As soon as the ball left his hand we both knew it would be a hit. I swung and the ball connected with the bat sending it right over Luke's head and into center field. I dropped the bat and ran to first with the crowd cheering. Mikey, who was the base runner on second, ran to third and didn't stop. He rounded the bag and headed for home. Their center fielder, J.D, scooped up the ball and hurled it home where their catcher stood over the plate. Mikey was a fast runner and he got a good jump on the hit so he was already feet from the plate and slid under the catcher's legs as he received J.D's throw.

    With the crowd cheering and me on second John Powell entered the batters box. Luke got on the rubber. He turned to look at me leading off on second and gave me a dirty look. Then he turned around and stared down John. Just as he was about to start his wind up some thing happened. It became suddenly quiet. All the car horns stopped and all the music went silent. Every thing but the birds cherping and people talking was quiet, everything electrial. Everyone started looking around and talking to eachother. The umpire called time and coach went over to talk to him. 

    "What's going on?" some one from the crowd said. 

     "Any one's phone work?" said someone else. Then people started pulling out their phones and saying no. Some girls in the croud started freeking out about their phones not turning on. I walked off second to coach. 

     "Do you know whats going on?" I asked

      "No I don't. But it seems like everyone's phone is off" he said. I looked around and noticed the scoreboard was blank. 

    "The scoreboard is out too." I pointed out to coach. "It seems like everything electrical is out."

     "Do you think it's a blackout?"

    "A blackout wouldn't effect phones and cars."

    "Well what could it be?" he asked me.

    "It might be an EMP. That would knock out all electronics." He gave me a worried look. 

    "Let's hope its not." After he said that I walked over to the dougout to talk with my friends. After a minuet went by I saw something on the horizon to the east. There were lots of flashes