New Arrivals

“Lola! Stop it!” I roll my head back in laughter as my horse Lola nuzzles my neck, pushing me back playfully into the pond. I was supposed to be cleaning her stall out, but somehow in the process of moving her from the barn to the field we ended up splashing around in the pond in a water fight. I gasp as I feel more freezing cold water splash my small figure, hitting the exposed skin that my knee didn't cover.

“Lola, stop splashing me!” I was trying really hard not to laugh while scolding her, she may be a full grown horse but sometimes she is just like a child, or well in her case a foal. She was always like this when she was one, silly and funny.

“Sharaya! What the hell?” My brother older Columbus comes running out of the house, still in his slippers.

“Uhh..we uhh...got a little distracted” Lola snorted as if even she was trying to stifle her laughter. Columbus smirked at me, shaking his head slightly.

“Just hurry up and get ready for school before Grandpa sees you! And make sure you clean out her stall, while your at it, you can clean Max’s too”

“Um, Max is your horse. You can clean your own horses stall!” He just kept smirking at me.

“Fine then, I will tell grandpa how off task you get with your chores around here and then maybe you can clean all the stalls from now on!” he retorts, as our grandfather is extremely intense about getting chores done. I glared at him with such intensity that I think even Lola felt my frustration, because a few moments later she bucked up and brought her front legs down in the pond splashing Columbus, soaking him.

“Are you serious? God damn horse!” This time I could not stifle the laughter that was bubbling up inside of me. The sight of his hair dripping with muddy water and him cursing at the horse was something you just had to laugh at.

“Just finish cleaning your damn brat of a horse stall Sharaya, and hurry up and get your ass in the car so I can take you too school!” I just giggled and nodded at my brother and his downright grumpy and annoyed look, he is just plainly not a morning person.

I go straight to my locker as soon as Columbus drops me off at the front doors. My first class of the day is Science, and my teacher is so absolutely horrid that I don’t want to be late.

“Sharaya!” I hear a shrill voice shouting my name across the hallway at me and I instantly know who it is.

“Renee! You don’t have to scream my name across the whole school for the whole world to hear”

“Oh Sharaya but that’s no fun! The whole world should have to know about my anti-social best friend who-” she stopped mid sentence peering at something apparently very interesting on my head and begins again-“who apparently thinks it is socially acceptable to come to school with mud in her hair?!”

“Oh shit!” I instantly make a beeline for the girls washroom. I have never been one to care much about looks, or how I look. If jeans and a tee-shirt is enough to go riding in then shouldn’t that be socially acceptable to go to school in? But, I do draw the line at mud in your hair, stupid Lola and her splashing tactics.