How it all began

"Mommy!"

"Yes, sweetie?"

"There aren't any swings left!"

"Why don't we play on the slide first then?"

"Okay!"

As they went over to the play set they noticed the slide was being occupied by a little girl around Derek's age. Derek's mother, Angela, looked around and spotted the girls mom standing close by. Angela remembered her from High School. Her name was Karen.

"Derek, why don't you play with the little girl while I talk to her mother?"

"Alright"

Derek's POV

"Hi, my names Derek! Can I play with you?"

"Sure thing! My names Hanna"

I think about that day all the time. I thank god every day that the swing set was full making me play with her on the slides. I was only 4 but I remember that day so vividly, right down to the yellow sunflower dress she wore and pink flower headband. Even back then I knew she was special.

It's been 11 years to the date that we met, I remember because it was my moms birthday, July 15th. Every year since then we have gone out to dinner with Hanna and her mom celebrating their friendship, our friendship, and obviously my moms birthday. Lately, I've been thinking about Hanna a lot, differently than just as my best friend. I feel a lot more protective of her and I just want to spend every moment of every day with her. It's weird. It's a feeling I can't yet explain, but I sort of like it. I love having her on my mind all the time, with her beautiful smile and amazing laugh constantly reminding how beautiful and perfect she is. And... Why am I thinking this?! She's my best friend for crying out loud! She probably has no clue to how I feel and most likely doesn't feel the same...

Oh well, time to get ready for dinner.

A/N: I hope you enjoyed my little introductory! This is just to get to know how they met and stuff. I will be uploading the first chapter tomorrow.

I would love some of your guys feedback! Comment and favorite!

xx