Big Crowds and Red Heads

365 days till opening night.

"How do you feel Ellie?" asked Aunt Row

I was used to these stupid auditions. Go in. Say my name and a few lines. Maybe fake a few tears if it wasn't going well. Get the part. Walk out. But instead of telling my aunt I didn't actually want to do this and just wanted to go back to Broadway and take up my old job I simply responded.

"Nervous as usual."

Silence took over the car as we finally pulled up to Sight&Sound theaters and parked. I grabbed my gym bag that had a few things in it just in case we were doing anything that required dancing. I sighed inwardly as we walked in. I immediately took in my surroundings when we got in to the theater. Not the worst place I've tried out at. The high ceilings and statues gave it a sense of sophistication. The tan walls contrasted nicely with the brown oak wood trim. In the very middle of the main entrance there was a large fountain that had a lion and a lamb on top of it. The entire place was buzzing with excitement. Aunt Row checked me in as I stared around took in some of the miner details. Concession stands were at either side of the main hall and from each side there were hallways the led away. There were also large doors that I would guess lead into the theater.

"Ellie? Are you ready to go?" asked Aunt Row.

"Oh..uh yes I am." I responded coming out of my trance.

We headed back into the theater and I became more and more impressed with the design of the place. It was well cared for and very nicely decorated. It reminded me of the hall inside Broadways main theater. Every plays poster wall in gold frames taking up the walls. After walking and making several misturns we arrived at a room labeled 'Audition Room'.

Aunt Row knocked and the door was opened immediately my eyes landed on a red headed boy doing turns in the middle of the floor. The guy looked about my age maybe a year older. He had close cut red hair and glasses and was wearing black joggers and a tight white shirt showing his nice build. He wasn't super skinny but he definitely was ripped. We were ushered in and placed at the far end of the studio. I continued to watch the red head. He was a good dancer I could tell by watching him do very simple movements. I glanced at the judging stand. They were all sitting there smiling. They liked him. A lot.

"Ellie Knewt!"

I stood up (slightly startled) with my resume and walked to the directors chair and handed it to him. After a few minutes of him skimming it he gave me a kind smile.

"Well Ellie looks like you have a very impressive resume here and your work is very credited but I will warn you know we do not favor anyone here. We pick you for the part that we think you will fit best in. And maybe you just don't work for any of the spots but I assure you that we are honored that you came to audition for us." The director informed me.

"The honor was all mine sir." I smiled.

The director smiled back and gave a small nod.

"By the way my name is Matt. "sir" feels to formal."

" Oh okay...Matt." I replied testing out the name.

"Well we might as well get started. I'm going to have you read a few lines towards the end, but the maine thing I want to test you on is your singing and dancing abilities because those are the base to all of our shows and there is no point in someone who can't sing and dance being on this cast," he explained," now I suppose you have a song prepared?"

I didn't exactly but he did not need to know that. I had so many memorized by heart I knew I could pull it off.

"I do."