Start

I was scared, terrified even. My friend was about to be shot because of me. I leapt up immediately, putting myself in her place. I pushed her down and heard the bang of the gun, knowing it was going to hit me instead. I guess it was divine intervention that saved me, Katherine was taller than me. Way taller, so what would have hit her heart, hit higher on me. The bullet hit one of my shoulder blades, I wasn't in the same position as Kat. I dropped onto my knees and coughed up blood, curling into a ball. My back was soaked in blood and I could hear Katherine beating up the gunman.

"R-Renee, c-can you get m-me m-my j-jumper?" I stuttered.

Renee was already grabbing it out of my bag and pressed it against the wound. We stayed like that until the ambulance came for me.

"N-no, don't", I mumbled, feeling my jumper being pulled away.

Didn't matter, they were trying to stop the bleeding anyway. I passed out from blood loss and pain.

d(O_O)b

"Nurse, she's exercising again", a boy stated.

The man sighed and turned to see that I was, indeed, exercising again.

"Bachmeier, please sit back down. Your shoulders can't take it", the man said, watching as I failed to do a single push up.

"Well, with that attitude you can't", I retorted, wishing with all my might that my shoulders could take my weight.

"Bachmeier, it's not healthy to try to move your arms at this point in time. With all the movements you want to do it will take you longer to heal", the nurse replied.

"But I'm going crazy! I want to move, Son of Harri!" I yelled, waving my arms and wincing. "And anyway, the doctors told me that I healed a lot faster than expected so if I do exercise now, I'll be healthy at the time it was expected! So c'mon, nurse! Let me exercise!"

"No, Bachmeier. Now get back in bed", he said.

I didn't move.

"You need help, don't you?"

".... Maybe..."

The nurse sighed and picked me up, putting me back in bed.

"And please stay this time. If I have to I will tie you to the bed in order for you to heal", the nurse warned.

"Fiiiiiiiine", I whined.

The nurse nodded and left, turning the lights out. The other kids in the room hunkered down and went to sleep. I just turned over and slid out my phone, making the brightness all but nil.

"Ha. Like they can control me", I murmured.

I opened my phone to see that someone had changed the background. I frowned at the picture but shrugged and altered the wallpaper back to what it was before.

"Stupid brother. Next time I'm asking Bridie", I muttered under my breath. "Nah, she'll do the same thing. Easy, I'll get one of my friends."

I stopped what I was doing when I heard something. I stuffed my phone under the pillow and turned over, faking sleep. It wasn't until the door opened and then closed a few minutes after did I realise that it was the nurse, checking to see if we were asleep. I waited for a few minutes before turning over again and staring at the ceiling.

'I wonder what would have happened if...'

I didn't think anything else because I dozed off. I wasn't awake but I wasn't fully asleep and my mind decided to torment me but it would be nothing until I completely lost myself to sleep. My almost-nightmare featured the gunman and Katherine. I was on the ground and I had to watch Kat die. I whimpered in distress. Kat! No... I tried to move but I was stuck, this is hell! This man appeared out of nowhere, out of the shadows, maybe? He was tall and, thin compared to most of the people I know, seemed to be making a horse out of... Sand? I reached out towards him but I still couldn't move. Kat! He finished what he was doing and I tried in vain to get in the way of the bullet but it didn't work. Nothing happened. Please! Kat! No... I woke up and was hyperventilating, staring at the ceiling. Most of the kids here are on some sort of drug that got rid of dreams, or nightmares, depending. I was one of the few who wasn't, but I did have morphine to begin with. So I was one of the few to get nightmares and it scared me.

"What?" I mumbled, staring at the tall man. He was still here, staring at me in interest. "Have I actually fallen asleep for once?"

"Who are you?" he demanded.

"Uh... Edel? Edel Bachmeier?" I replied, "And you are? Wait, wait, wait.... Tall, dark, and mysterious? Either, you sir, are a kidnapper, or the boogeyman. Shit, that's bad."

He stepped towards me but then I felt a vibration against my upper back and music started playing.

"Fuck, someone's trying to call me", I said, taking out my phone.

I answered the call to find out that it was my aunt ringing me.

"Hey, Lucy. How's Uni?"

"Well, I've got a few tests coming up. You wanna do them for me?" Lucy replied.

"No", I said, sounding like I was about to laugh but was in intense pain doing so.

"So, anything unusual happened to you?" Lucy asked.

"I had this horrible dream where you were nice to me, said something about how pretty I looked and all. What do you think it was?" I lied, trying not to think about my real dream.

"That is one horrible dream, no it's a nightmare. Tell them to switch your medication at once, Edel!"

"Lucy, I'm not taking meds anymore", I replied.

"Then you should get back on them, to stop you from having any nightmares! Who knows what else your pain filled mind might come up with!"

"Gee, thanks, Lucy", I said, sounding sarcastic.

"Well, I better go now. I'll see you next reunion, Edel?" Lucy suggested.

"Yep. See you, Lucy."

I hung up and shoved my phone in my pocket, forgetting about the man. I turned over and fell asleep, dreaming of the accident instead this time.