2 year prologue

The boy sits down and picks up the remote. It's been a long day and his girlfriend is on a ship in the middle of the sea. He flicks on the television, and watches a programme about nature for a while.

He pulls his phone from out of his pocket, and briefly texts a message to his girlfriend, just saying about how much he loves her, and he hopes that she's having a nice time. He's a good boyfriend, and he never forgets about the ones he loves.

His mother walks through, and asks if she can watch the news, the boy agrees, but leaves the room to find something more interesting to do. He calls one of his friends, and 5 minutes later they are strolling through the streets together.

The pair meet up with others, and the group walk through the town, teasing each other as they go. One of them is pushed over, and he falls.

The group laugh.

The boy laughs hardest, but it is said that those who laugh the hardest, cry the hardest. But he has never felt great loss.

Yet.

He checks his phone, but there is no reply from his girlfriend. He frowns, and his friends ask him what's wrong. He tells them and they comfort him.

'Maybe she's just busy.' They say. They always know how to make him feel better.

But this is unusual. His girlfriend always has her phone with her, and she replies almost immediately. She would never leave it this long.

Would she?

He peers into a shop window, and see's a blue dress, with a wave pattern woven into the fabric. Small pearls are sewn in and dark and light blues intertwine.

It would be perfect for his girlfriend. He slips into the shop and buys it quickly, but when he comes out, his friends tease him and say.

'Is that for you? Because it really goes with your eyes!' They laugh and swarm around him, but he laughs with them.

He doesn't take them seriously.

Suddenly he hears his phone ring. He whips it out of his pocket, hoping it's her. But it's not. It's his Dad. He answers the call and hears his dad whisper..

'Come home. Now.' The boy asks why, but his father hangs up. So he says goodbye to his friends and heads home, his mind filled with reasons for his Dads unexpected call.

He arrives in the front room and his parents are sat on the sofa. They sit close together, and look devastated. On the other sofa are his girlfriends parents, who look crippled with grief.

'What?' He asks. 'What happened?' The worry starts to grow in his stomach. He shouts at them.

'What happened!' They don't even flinch, but his mother flicks on the TV, and a news report begins to play. The boy watches, dumbstruck.

A large cruise ship has sunk this afternoon. It is believed that there was engine failure, and a tear in one of the ships hulls. Water flowed into the ship, and it sank within 30 minutes of failure. We're are sorry to report that as far as evidence shows. There were no survivors.

No survivors.

They show the ship in question, and his stomach lurches as the deadly grip of realisation clutches at his throat.

No.

The boy falls to the ground, and lies there. Unable to get up, unable to even think beyond this moment.

His mother calls for him.

'Zach.. Zach! I'm sorry! We're all so so sorry.'