Water Boy

"Hey, stop slouching."

Someone is staring at me from the seat over. They're staring at me like I'm a filthy child. I don't like it.

"I'm not, my body is actually much more rigid than you'd like to believe."

"Is that so?" He gives me a look of disbelief, and laughs a little, mockingly.

"Yes it actually is." I'm angry now, and I get up and stare down at him.

"Well then, we'll have to see if what you say is true." He stands up too, facing me, and holds out his hand.

"There is a particular way to test the firmness of one's body, if you really believe what you say, you'll take this test with me."

"Yes I will." I grab his hand and give it a good shake, looking him dead in the eye. We walk out of class together, leaving our belongings behind.

I'm in a field of dirt. There are dry farms in the distance. He is standing a little distance always from me.

"Alright, what is this test you are so eager to show me?" He turns around and faces me, taking in a deep breath.

"Depending on how rigid someone's body is, they could be able to suck up water from the ground. I took you to this dry place to make sure any water rising from the ground would be from you, and not rising naturally." He looks at the ground, determination written all over his face. He closes his eyes and holds out his hands, palms towards the ground. He begins trembling, and I feel the earth slightly shaking below me. After a few moments, I see water droplets floating from the ground up, and though few, it gets the job done. I'm impressed.

"Okay, I believe you." He stops, and immediately the droplets fall back to the ground.

"Good. Now you do it."

"I was already going to do that." I stare at the ground, concerned. I know my back is fine, but I've never done this before. I hold out my hands at my sides, palms down, and concentrate.

Somewhere in the earth, I feel little prickles, slightly itchy. They aren't touching me, but if I concentrate hard enough, I can maybe pull them closer...

Water begins to rise from the ground, in the form of little droplets. I stare in awe, as they go closer and closer to my hands. When they reach my hands, they form a little puddle, and I turn my hands right-side up and stop concentrating, and the rest of the water falls back to the ground. I stare at my hands, and then to the boy.

"This is proof." I hold out my hands to him, and then I turn them over, letting the water spill back into the dirt.

He is staring at me now. I've never seen someone so angry. Is he mad that my back is rigid? I don't care.

"Oh, are you mad? I told you my back was more rigid than you'd like to believe, and you didn't believe me! What are you doing to do, huh?"

He holds out his hands, and begins trembling once again. Bits of water rise from the ground again, but they aren't going towards him, they're going towards me. I start to run, but the droplets are coming towards me. I feel one hit my cheek, and it sends me reeling back, and I fall on the ground. I turn around, and I see him running at me. Droplets are following him; they look like rain. I get up again and start to run, and I hear him shout:

"My mom! Is running! At me!"

When he says this the droplets speed up, and this time multiple hit me at once. The force of the impact sends me flying back, and I crash into the ground, landing awkwardly on my leg. It really hurts. I know I cannot last much longer. I have to fight back.

I concentrate like I did before, and droplets rise towards my hands. This time, I direct them towards him, and one hits him flat on the chest. He yells out in pain and trips, rolling on the ground. He gets up in a flash, but I'm already there. Another droplet flies in his direction, but he summons a droplet of his own last second, and the two droplets crash into each other. The impact sends wind rushing in both of our directions, and we simultaneously get blown back, each of us hitting the ground with a thud.

It's getting hard to take this. He's only hit the ground twice now, but I have three times, and one of those times was by multiple droplets.

I try to get up, but he does before me, holding droplets above his head.

"Give up now, and I won't destroy you." I'm laying on the ground below him, staring up. He looks down at me, the water floating intimidatingly above him. But I have a trick up my sleeve. A single droplet is pulled from the ground behind him, and as he stands there, I make it hit his leg. He trips and falls back, and I catch the droplets he had held before they fall into the earth. I direct all of them at him, and before he can get up, dozens of droplets hit him all over. The impact is so strong I am sent flying back farther than I can imagine, and in the distance I see an explosion where the boy had been. I hit the ground, and black out.

I am awoken by a man with a microphone, shaking me. I get up, and look around.

"Mister, can you tell me what events transpired here?" He is concerned, holding out his microphone to me. I regard him for a moment.

"Wouldn't you like to know."