prologue ;;

falling asleep in a small chair was no problem for charlie, the man had been used to much worse and if anything he would consider the place comfortable — but only psychically, because mentally he felt like a wreck. he lost track of time as he sat by hunter's hospital bed, a gaze on his husband's pale face as he held his hand tightly. their fingers had intertwined and while that feeling had always been so comfortable, his hand felt so cold now. sometimes he doubted hunter's survival chances, mainly when he thought back of how close he had been to drowning before they had gotten him on another boat — charlie had wanted to save him himself, but the others in the boat refused to let go of him. now he had yelled at them, for sure, for how dare they keep them apart? — he shook his head eventually, other hand also holding onto hunter as he hoped to warm the other up a little, but the relief finally came when he felt the hand he was holding move.

the relief didn't last long.

it took a while, but he filled up with warmth and fuzziness when he saw his husband's eyes open. heart beating against his chest as he whispered out a soft, "hey baby," to the other, but it felt as if his heart stopped when he heard the other his response..

 "— who are you?"