I

This story is a work of fiction.
Nothing is real in this story.
The characters and names of this story are not real and anyone related by name or identification is coincidental in the real world.
Do you understand?
Let us begin.

~~~

"Suicide rates have skyrocketed since 2015-"
"Just in the town north of here, two officers were killed from a group of drug dealers-"
"It looks like we've got rain incoming the next few days-"
I was getting bored skimming through the channels so I turned off the T.V.. I sighed as I leaned back on the soft couch staring at the plain ceiling listening to the pouring rain hitting the roof. The atmosphere in the room was dull yet relaxing. I had nothing else to do, and watching the news is pretty depressing.
Bing!
I pulled out my phone. It was Anon. We became good friends from an incident in middle school.

Anon: Hey, Cyrus!
Cyrus: Hey, Anon! What's up?
Anon: Nothing much, just wanted to say hi! Finished your homework?
Cyrus: Yeah, I finished as usual.
Anon: That's good. Exams are coming up. High school really is another level from high school.
Cyrus: Yeah, definitely.
Anon: Man though, that middle school was terrible. The students all act so immature. Then again, it's because of that we were able to meet.
Cyrus: Yeah, I remember those times. We were two different people out of the bunch.
Anon: Yup! Ah, it's getting late. Better get some rest. Good rest is the key to good health, and performance!
Cyrus: I'll keep that in mind! Thanks!
Anon: No problem! Good Night!
Cyrus: Good Night!

I turned off my phone and yawned. I gathered up all my papers and books and neatly placed it in my bag. I don't understand why so many students cram folded and crumpled papers in their bag, Well, whatever is convenient I suppose.
I set my bag next to the door of my room and went to the bathroom. I turned on the lights and saw myself. I was wearing my white and black student uniform. Not too big, black tie and neat folds. My dark hair is kind of messy, but I like that. I took off my glasses and moved closer to the mirror. The color under my eyes always bothered me. I need to sleep better.

I finished brushing my teeth and took a shower. I put the student uniform in the wash bin and went to bed. There wasn't really much in my room. Normal tailored bed. A window that doesn't really do much considering the other buildings in the way. My desk and bookshelves filled with old papers and books with study material. It may seem that I am very studious, but I'm not. Teachers always tell us to keep our work in case we need it and that eventually led to this.
I yawned and took off my glasses then went to sleep.

~~~

I was surprised to see the rain halt, but I heard it will continue later in the day. The roads are soaked and the air smells of fresh morning dew. The sky was dull gray and the sun can't seem to make it's way past the clouds that took over the blue.
"Morning, Cyrus!"
"Hey! Morning, Anon!"
The two of us met at the bus stop. All students are to wear their school uniform. Anon has nice long blonde hair and shining green eyes that match his smile.
"You study up?" I asked.
"Yup! How about yourself?"
"Mostly just the homework, but I'm confident enough knowing the material," I replied.
"Don't get cocky. Things might pick up in difficulty."
"Right, don't worry!"
The bus came drove down and stopped, opening the door allowing us in. We climbed in and took a seat together. We sat in the front because the back always welcome the loud and obnoxious students.

"B."
"Boron."
"Mg."
"Magnesium."
"Fe."
"Iron."
Anon pulled out the elements table and tried to help me go through the elements for science.
"I know I am in no position to ask. But when will I ever use this?" I asked.
"Well. . . For the next science class, chemistry!" Anon replied.
"Well, for the real world for instance. And not including a scientist," I said.
"Well, lawn care and stuff I suppose. Fertilizers include many different types of nutrients. Macro and micronutrients are used for plants."
"You know a lot more stuff than I do," I sighed.
"Nah, I just pick up on interesting facts. Anyways, shall I continue?"
"Fire away."

We made it to school and every time I look at the building from a distance, it's honestly quite unsettling.
"Do you want to go out to eat today?" Anon asked breaking me free from my thoughts.
"That sounds great actually, yeah," I replied.
"Good! Where to?"
"Hm. . . I'm craving meat," I replied.
"Always meat huh?" Anon chuckled, "how about that beef bowl place?"
"Sounds good! 'Meat' you at the school entrance for lunch."
"Shut up!" Anon laughed, "alright, see you then!"

Classes were always boring. I can't stop yawning and my eyes tear up because of it. I wish that there was a way to escape from reality. I gazed out at the window watching the dull clouds flow by. It feels so calm.

My classes flew by one after the other. I stuffed all my unnecessary books in my locker and walked on over to the entrance to meet up with Anon.
"Alright! Let's get going!" Anon said.
"Right with you!"

We walked for ten minutes and found the place. The beef bowl building always looked old fashioned, but that goes to show how sometimes the old techniques of cooking beats the present. Being there always feels like home. Just standing outside was I able to pick up the scent of delicious meat wafting in the air.
"Come on!" Anon said, "we going to eat or smell?"
"R-right!" I followed Anon inside. There aren't air conditioning for a building so old, but that doesn't matter, the food makes up for it. Even the furniture is plain wood, but it is quite appropriate and is such a calming atmosphere. Fortunately there are still some seats left and we ordered a nice bowl of sliced beef atop a bed of rice.
"Thank you for the meal," Anon said.
"Yes, thank you," I added.

"You look like you're enjoying yourself," Anon chuckled.
"Sorry, it's so damn good!" I exclaimed chomping more of the juicy slices of meat and rice.
"Careful, you're gonna choke at that ra-"
*Cough! Cough!*
"What did I say?" Anon sighed patting my on the back and helped me with a glass of water.
"Sorry about that," I sighed wiping my mouth.
"Don't worry about it, the owner at least seems pleased that someone is enjoying his meals," Anon said.
I looked up and indeed noticed a smile from big man in his restaurant attire washing the dishes.

"Thank you very much!" Anon and I said leaving.
"I heard that the beef bowl restaurant will be shutting down," Anon said.
"Wait, really?!" I exclaimed.
"Apparently it's because their building is so old and it's taking up space for possible space for another large building," Anon explained.
"I guess I can understand that, but that's a real bummer. . ."
"Well, let's enjoy that place as much as we can before they are out of business," Anon said.
"Sure, let's go to lunch there more often!" I suggested.
As we walked back rain started to fall.
"I was afraid this might happen. At least we're almost back," Anon said.
"Man, I heard we were getting rain a lot these next few days," I groaned.

"Well, it's just that time of year," Anon said stopping at a vending machine. He got himself a black coffee. I put in some spare change myself and got a bottle of orange juice.
"I can never understand how you can drink that," I said.
"I think it's just an acquired taste," Anon said as we both took a sip.

We finished our drinks and noticed a large crowd at the front of the school. We threw our drinks away and joined the crowd.
"What's going on?" I asked.
"She's going to jump!" Someone said.
"What?"
"Cyrus! Look! Up there at the clock!" Anon said pointing up at the top of the school.
I looked up at where the clock is of the school at the top and saw a girl with black hair on the top of the school.
"Don't do it!"
"Is she crazy?!"
"She's gonna get herself killed!"
"Everyone, please calm down!"

Then at that very moment was when my life changed. . . she jumped.