Pre-Face

Sometimes I wish my life was like one of those online novels. You know, the ones where the author constantly changes the characters point of view. That way I would know what he was thinking right now.

'He' was my boyfriend. Or well...Ex. As of about 2 minutes ago. He had a teaspoon in his hand, swirling around in the coffee cup in front of him. His dirty blonde hair flopped to the side with a slight flick, hazel eyes that looked more brown due to the black jacket he was enveloped in.

"Look". He started again, not daring to look at me as the words left his lips.

"I think it's the best for both of us. I would be over in the states and well, you'd be stuck here"

I stared back at him, raising my brows "I wouldn't be STUCK here Nathan, I'm happy here"
The strained words leaving my mouth, not sounding as convincing as I had hoped.

He matched my gaze, a soft smile on his lips. he gently grabbed my hands from under the table and placed them in-front of us. He continued;
"I know, and I'm so proud of you. And maybe when you're a famous songwriter you can write for me. I love you Jen, I really do. It's just, I don't know how else we can work around this?"
He signed, his gaze faltering to the floor. I continued looking into those same eyes I've come to know over the past year.

I didn't say anything. I just squeezed his hands,  and left mine come loose from his gentle grip. And with that as my last gesture, I got up from the coffee table and grabbed my coat in silence, the bustle of the coffee shop surrounding us. I turned on my heel and walked away from the only boy I have ever loved. And am afraid, the only one who would ever love me back.