The Open Door

The tall man in a black hat runs through the door across the way, every day. Elizabeth watches out her window, she is very curious as to why. She's always been the meddlesome type, not minding her own business. She watches him with sheer interest, no man has ever made her body ache like he does, but she doesn't even know why.

She watches him come and go, carrying stuff inside, never bringing anything back out. "What is he doing?" She questions as she leans forward on the window seal, she rubs her finger through her hair to remove a few strands from view. Day after day, until weeks have passed, the same thing, always the same; until today. The man in the hat looks up at Elizabeth staring down at him, he tilts his hat and smiles. She is so surprised that she falls backwards onto the floor. She could hear him laughing as he entered his door.

The next day the man doesn't show at his door. Elizabeth worried about him to the point, it is all she thinks about. She tries to sleep and is unable to get him out of her mind, so in the middle of the night she runs to her window and with her elbows perched on her knees, she longingly gazes out to look for him. As she stares out the window, she notices that his door sits ajar, with an ominous blue light emanating from within, "What kind of sorcery could this be?" She says nervously.

Then out of nowhere her black hat man darts out. He slams the door hard and leans his back against it.

Relieved that he is okay, she heaves her body forward, "Are you all right, Misère?" She shouts. Her body loses hold on the windowsill and plummets into the alley below.

The man with the black hat smiles, "I am now," he tilts his hat and opens the door and steps back inside.