Prologue

"Stay here, alright? Papa is just going into a meeting, I'll be back." he pecked a kiss on your forehead, patting your head before leaving.

Your father brings you most of the time to his workplace, Pandora. A secret organization who makes sure that Chains stay under control, and that illegal contractors are put down.
Ever since your mother died because of a Chain, your father never wants you to be alone. Being the chicken father he is, hence why your at his workplace.

You, a 13 year old girl in a huge building with plenty of people that work for a secret organization, you find it pretty boring on your side. You don't dare socialize with anyone, since they are all adults, and you don't want to be in their way.

Since you don't have much to do, you've become more visual than you used to, and it has its perks. You're even on the urge of remembering most of the people's names. And it's people that don't even have a huge role in Pandora. Of course you remember the most popular ones, like the dukes of the four families:

Sheryl Rainsworth, Duke of the Rainsworth family;
Rufus Barma, Duke of the Barma family;
Zai Vessalius, Duke of the Vessalius family;
and Bernard Nightray, Duke of the Nightray family.

You also remember important members of Pandora, like Reim Lunettes or Xerxes Break. Of course there are more, but it'll be too much effort to list them all in your head.

You personally liked Xerxes. He spent time with you when he could to keep you company. Since your father sometimes works in the same department as him, he got to know about you little by little, and treats you like a little sister. Lucky for you, he sometimes share his candy with you.

While you were lost in thought, sitting on the ground against the wall, facing the front door, everyone silenced and greeted someone. You shook your head, getting out of your thoughts and looked at the man being greeted. No wonder he was getting so much attention, it was Xerxes Break.

You lightly jumped up, waving at him. He finally looked your way and came in front of your small figure, kneeling down and patting your head.

"[y/n]! How are you doing? Is your father doing well?" Break smiled.

"I'm great! A little bored but still good. And my father is doing also great, I think.." you answered.

"Haha, that's good to know. Sadly, I have to do something important, so I won't be able to spend as much time with you as I normally do."

You pouted. "Aww, I was looking forward to it."

He nods. "I know I know, sorry kiddo. Next time, alright? Oh, Gilbert, say hi to [y/n]!"

You tilted your head in curiosity. Gilbert? Who's that? Another adult?
You hope not.
You saw a boy, about your age, peeking behind Xerxes, his cheeks having a pink hue.

"H-Hi..." he softly said. His wavy black hair hiding most of his facial features.

"Hi!" You waved at him. You had a huge smile on your face. Another kid like you! Finally! Maybe you won't be so bored after all.

"Me and Gil have to head somewhere in this spooky mansion, alright? We'll be sure to come back to you." Break said and booped your nose.

You nodded at him. "Okay. Bye Xerxy! Bye Gil!" You waved as they went away.
The boy's eyes crossed yours.

His golden eyes caught your gaze. He seemed tired, gloomy and stressed. In the one moment you crossed gazes, you could see all three emotions. He weakly smiled at you, then looked away, walking behind Break.