Part 1

'Good morning Felix' she said whilst walking in the door way. 'What is it Mother?' Felix was quite confused as she never had woken up this early before, 'It's time for.' 'It is happening today? I still don't understand what the ceremony is' He could see the sadness in her eyes before she spoke. 'It's a family tradition, everyone who turns 18 undergoes a ceremony to summon their other. Though I don't agree with it, but I have no choice. There is no way around the Five. I'm so sorry.' her voiced stumbled and cracked as if she was going to cry. Felix saw his mother's pain. 'It's okay, I am going to be okay. You don't need to apologise.' he stood up and hugged his mother tightly. 'Now, let's go, shall we?' and before she could answer, Felix had already drifted down the stairs.

In the under level of the house, it was cold and damp. The wooden stairs Felix had walked down were creaking with exhaustion. A group of about 10 people in golden and red robes were standing around a circular pattern, in the center of the room. There was barely any light apart from candles which lit silhouettes onto the walls. That was the only sound, the flames dancing on the wicks as though trying to escape but never could. 'Sian, this is your boy? He has a strong soul. One of the strongest in a while.' a husky voice broke the silence, the words hitting the walls as if to break them. Sian had followed Felix down the stairs to oversee the process. She was afraid for his being, he would never be the same after this. After all, Felix with a soul of a greater being, would not be a walk in the park.

She remembered her becoming, another soul ripping into her body, forcing power inside her. Being the first female, the Five were curious to see what new potential she offered. The Other were like demons in nature, but the powers grew stronger when in a human vessel. Five had been around for centuries, perfecting the process to become the powerful race. Once born into the group, there was no leaving. Every child was theirs to control. Sian tried to refuse her body, lashing out whenever they were examining her. Unfortunately, there was no hope. She had to give in. Thankfully she could hold Felix back from the trials that take place. Until now, the ceremony is a must, there is no escape from it. Sian just hoped that Felix would be able to hold the power, and not destroy him.

'Felix, come into the circle, we have been waiting patiently for this moment.' The husky voice broke Sian away from the ghosts of her past. 'Of course,' Felix slowly stepped into the pattern, upon examining the floor he noticed it was full of red squares interlinking, with a white circle bordering and in the center. He was now in the center of it all, the blank faces staring at him with eager eyes. Felix started to feel a deep sensation, almost sickening. Then without warning, the dark basement was interrupted with a blast of cold air followed by a blue spark. Suddenly the floor started to rumble, and the center circle lifted and faced Felix. It was almost in an instant, as he didn't realise what was happening until he investigated the white ring and saw what seemed to be a dark figure. It stepped forward, and at first, it looked like Felix. However, he noticed that it was different somehow. He went to touch the figure, but it disappeared and in its place, was another. A different shape than before, almost animal-like. It smiled and then pulled Felix in.

It seemed like a trance, as if in a dream and aware but no escaping. Falling endlessly into nothing. No sound coming from anywhere apart from the wind in his ears. The only physical sensation was a tightening around his body like a cobra. Felix thought it was the end. The end of everything he knew, his mother, his life. Gone. Would he be stuck like this forever, is this what it meant to summon the other? In a pit of despair and loneliness whilst another being roamed in his body? He was starting to panic if only he could move. If only he could shout out. However, nothing happened. Felix just accepted it, there was nothing he could do. His mother, Sian, would be alone. She would have to fight on her own, without anyone beside her. No. He couldn't let that happen. He willed the falling to stop, trying hard to concentrate on getting back to Sian. There was nothing to see, no way out. Hope was the only option.