Coming Out

I'm here, America. The land of opportunity. When I lived in Japan, I dreamt of coming here. But, now that I am here I'm not so sure anymore. As I stepped into the lobby of the New York airport, the events of that day come rushing back to me.

"So, I got promoted today." My dad looked dead on at me, the way he, and my mom were acting, it seemed like it was good and bad news.

"That's great!" I exclaimed, almost a bit too loud, I was nervous what can I say?

"It is, we'll be moving to America in a couple weeks. So you might want to brush up on your English." He said it like it was an everyday thing, like it was normal for your dad to say you're moving from everything that is normal to you, everything that is home.

 "We can't move… it's the middle of the school year! My grades will fall! I can't do this! I mean, I'm happy for you! But… why couldn't it wait until summer?"

"Because, it was a one time offer and it requires me to move to America immediately. This is not up for discussion."

"Yes father."

That is what decided it. Now, I get to start school smack in the middle of the school year, I'm not exactly fluent in English… But I suppose I can get by. 

I guess, this will be an opportunity to start new, make new friends… maybe not be so shy. Become someone new. I don't know. I just feel like such a fish out of water.

I can do this, land of opportunity… here I… um… am!