Chapter One

"So, Malia, when is Bryson coming?" Kylie asked, walking up to my locker with Carter behind her,

"I'm not sure my dad said he would bring him. They are filling out paperwork." I murmured as I decorated my locker. "Can you believe we're seniors?" I ask with a huge smile. I loved my school because the principal was against bullying. There are no popular kids, nerds, or bullies. Everyone is friends, which makes school a lot easier to endure. I closed my locker and heard all the laughing and chit-chat die down. All that's heard was one set of footsteps coming in my direction.

I turned to look at whoever had gotten everyone's attention and saw Bryson smile at me, and before Kylie could comment, I was gone.

"Bryson!" I shriek. I took off running up to him; he caught me and lifted me. I wrapped my arms around his neck as my legs slipped around his waist. "I'm so happy you came! It is going to be the best year of school ever!" I giggle, hugging him to me.

Bryson let out a sexy chuckle, "I'm happy to see you too." he said, sitting me down but pulling me into his arms once again. We walked over to where I had left Kylie and Carter, and they exchanged greetings. The bell rang, and we hurriedly checked our schedules to see if we all had the same classes. We have a small school with only 2,575 kids. We all sit at a table with four chairs and wait for the teacher to begin with roll call.

"Good morning, class!" Mr. Lee says, happily after introductions, "We are having a yearly project on a paranormal fictional character. If you would please sit near your partner when I say your names." he began. All the girls kept looking at Bryson. They were smiling and winking while twirling their hair.

"Carter Phillips and Kylie McDaniel," he says. They grinned at each other. He went on until there were only four of us left. "Malia Smith and Bryson Shields," he calls out over the talkative students, and I smile and grab his hand. Bryson smiled back as a warm fuzzy feeling spread throughout my whole body.

"So, what do you want to do the project on?" he asked,

"How about..." I thought real quick, "Fairies?" I asked, which caused him to smile.

"What about vampires?" he offered, knowing I knew more about them. We told the teacher and caused a lot of complaints from around the room that none of us could have the same thing for the project. Mr. Lee allowed us to spend the rest of the class writing down things we knew about our topics. After I finished my sentence, the bell for the second period rang.

I was at my locker when I heard someone walk up. I turn to see the star of our soccer team, Jesse Adams, "Hey beautiful, want to go get lunch?" he asked, showing that panty-dropping smile.

"Sorry, she already has plans," Bryson said, walking up. I smiled over at Bryson, then turned to Jesse.

"You can join us if you'd like," I said as we all walked to the cafeteria. I walked over to Kylie and sat down just as Carter showed up and passed me a tray, "Awe, Carter, you didn't have to do that." I gush, hugging him. "So my mom has been hinting about me getting my place. Do any of you want to be my roommate?" I ask as I eat. I receive nods and smile, "We can set up a time to begin looking around this weekend. I'll finally catch up and be eighteen, too." I said, causing them all to laugh. Jesse walked over and smiled at me as I moved over to give him space. I noticed Bryson stiffen, and I heard a low indistinct growl.

The bell rang, and we all got up to head to our third period when Bryson took my hand and pulled me back, "Do you want me to help you look for a nice place around here? This way, you'll be close to your parents?" he asked, and I nodded as we walked into class. I put all my homework in my locker since I finished at the end of each class. I got to my truck when Jesse and Bryson walked up. "Malia, I'm going to be home a little later than normal tonight," he said, and I nodded as I buckled up. He leans through the window and kisses my cheek.