Prolouge

"One, two, three, BREAK!"

The smell of sweaty girl and newly polished floor filled my nose as we emerged from the girls' locker room and into the gym.

The score was 68-67, the opposing team was up by one.

There were twenty seconds left in the game and the other team had the ball at the free throw line on a foul. She shot once and we all held our breath as the ball bounced off the rim and onto the gymnasium floor. She shot again but, the ball slipped out of her guide hand and hit the side of the backboard.

Sweat poured down my face as the post from our team jumped up to grab the rebound. I yelled, I'm sure it was "outlet" but, at that point in the game it's no telling what I screamed.

The post, Tiffany, passed me the ball and I broke into a full on sprint down the court.

Little did I know it would be a long time before I could run like that again.

As I was fast-breaking to the basket a girl from the other team knew there was no stopping me, so she kicked my feet out from under me.

I fell, hard, and landed on my foot with a horrific crack following. Suddenly, my vision blurred and there was ringing in my ears. The pain was so bad that I slipped in and out of consciousness; I couldn't cry, scream, or do anything.

Then, I blacked out.