Lita

Incense burned in the corners to try to cover the stench, a product of the sweaty, rolling mass of bodies, the unseen Mary Jane and the occasional cigarette. The air was heavy, unfortunately so, and I tried not to breathe. Doing so only made it worse. I was never quite sure how the Factory always smelled like weed. I never saw any blunts, never saw anyone try to smoke anything down in the crowd. But damn, they found a way to do it. It only reeked of pot on the dance floor, never over by the bar. Must’ve been out on the smoke deck.

        Bodies bumped me from every side, and I pushed back, the crowd feeding off of my defenses, growing stronger. The woman in front of me looked back. I offered her an apologetic shrug. Sorry. Maybe next time you should get the hell of out my way. She smelled of sex. God knows what, who, she’d been doing in the bathrooms. My nose curled involuntarily.

        It wasn’t worth coming out tonight; never seemed to be. The DJ was great, there were no qualms about that. But the layer of sweat that seemed to slicken everyones back, the amount of people attempting to grind with me, the goddamn mosh pit that managed to form at an electronic concert. For fuck’s sake. I wanted the hell out. I wasn’t exactly comfortable with dancing, never quite comfortable with jumping within a crowd (my elbows could take a bitch down). Mosh pits were entirely out of the question. And so there I stood, stick up my ass, arms folded, checking the occasional “text” in the middle of the crowd.

        The guy behind me pitied me, it seemed. I somehow managed to continually shoot down his invitations, no matter how polite ; “Do you want to dance?” seemed to come up at least every 10 minutes, “Do you want to go on my shoulders?” every half hour. What do you do on some strange mans shoulders? Worry about your thighs? How would you get down? I could see the stage from here, there was no point. The only person I wanted to dance with was the person that accompanied me. She, however, seemed to have other plans, as she happily socialized near the front, jumping, dancing, moshing with her new friends. People she would party with for the next few hours and then dub as her friends should she ever see them in public again . Hell, a lucky few would even get her number (until they asked for nudes, of course).

        Taegen was never the best to go out with; she took her job as the life of the party a tad bit too seriously, a job she didn’t even knew she had, and yet one that still seemed to have precedence over me. I detested and loved her for it. She didn’t drink, didn’t smoke, and yet still somehow seemed to party harder than I ever could, dance better, socialize more. Hell, she looked like a man, and yet she still managed to attract more guys than me. Thats not to say she didn’t get her fair share of lesbians. But I didn’t have to worry about them, the poor girl was much straighter than she cared to admit.

        Her masculinity was intimidating. That’s what attracted me to her, I suppose. Never exactly thought that she was pretty, but once you got to know her, see her let loose, she was breathtaking. You couldn’t take your eyes off her. I’m still not sure what she found appealing about me, but I’m never quite sure about those things. All I knew was that my damn girlfriend was off having fun with God knows who as I stood in my corner about to vomit, perhaps even pass out, from the stench of the crowd.

        There wasn’t that many people in attendance, no more than seventy at max. The music was great. It was much better than some of the other concerts I’d been to with her. I don’t know why I still went, not exactly sure why she still took me. I wanted to dance, to spend the concert with her. I knew what I was getting into before I went to my first concert with her, and yet here I still was. She did her part to keep me safe, making sure to keep me within eyesight at all times, making sure I stayed out of the moshpit, making sure I knew where she was at all times, pulling me up to the front when I wanted to go. Taegan just didn’t seem to get it, she never would, and that was okay. She learned to let me do my thing, and I let her do hers.