Midnight

Hey! This piece was made in late September- early October of 2018. Forgot to mention I wrote all these pieces for my creative writing class so yeah. This particular piece isn't my best (it was a timed piece) and I wasn't really happy with the ending. Hopefully, you like it.  

~

         She sat in her room, the window wide open letting all the cold winter winds fill the nearly empty room. Sitting on her bed, waiting for hours on end for the person only she would care to see. A broken clock laid on her ebony wooden floors, no longer ticking away and testing her patience. She was waiting for Adam, a friend of hers who not only made her heartthrob but whose parents worked as the personal chefs in the castle. He had promised her a taste of the black forest cake which they had made for the previous party that had been thrown. It was a birthday party which she had been invited to but decided not to attend. Parties weren't her cup of tea and she would never understand why people would rather go to a party than go read a book at a coffee shop. The towns square's church bell rung out, letting her know it was now 10 o'clock. She should've been asleep by now but seeing as her promised piece of cake hasn't arrived, she decided to keep waiting. A knock on her bedroom door alerted her and she got up right away to open it. 

          "Knew you'd be awake" the blonde hair blue eyed boy said entering her room with a basket in his hands and closing the door behind him. 

          "I wouldn't go to bed knowing you'd bring cake" 

         "Yeah well it's ten, I thought you would've been asleep" 

          "Who do you think I am?", she said humorously, "Here put all your stuff on this table".

They set up the table and took everything out of the basket. The cake was placed in the center of the table alongside sandwiches and tea. They dug into the sandwiches to start off small but satisfactory.

"Why'd you take so long?" Charlotte asked shoving another bite of the sandwich into her mouth.

"Guards", he took a sip of the tea, "and my parents. They didn't me wondering around the castle late at night. Especially with what's been happening lately".

"Oh yeah, I almost forgot about all of that. Sucks doesn't it?" she took another bite of her sandwich.

"Yeah. Especially since they can't keep their guard down. I wonder how the Chase and Violet are holding up. I haven't seen them in days"

"Don't you bring food up to them. I mean the prince and princess of Mali should receive special treatment during this time shouldn't they?"

"Believe it or not I can't even bring food up to them without a guard escorting me. They don't even let me give it to them they take it from me before I can even reach their rooms"

"That's so strange. Just because we've gone to war doesn't mean that they should be blocked off from everyone in the castle" she said now slicing into the cake with Adam.

After another hour of talking and eating they finally decided to say their goodbyes.

"Thanks for the cake" she said leaning against her door.

"It's no problem. I'll see you tomorrow in the garden?"

"I'll see you tomorrow." said she with a smile plastered on her face and with a kiss on the cheek he left her room and wondered away in the dark hallways of the castle.

It was eleven in the morning and Charlotte was sitting in the castle garden with an apple in her hand. Once again she was waiting for Adam to show up but when she heard someone enter, she was surprised to be found with Violet, the daughter of the King. She wore a white, lacy dress and laced up sandals. Violet sat next to Charlotte, she grabbed the apple out of her hand and took a bite out of it.