Chapter 1

Chapter 1

I scowl with frustration. I can't believe Julia had to cancel her interview and put me up for the job. I don't blame her though. Her mom did have a heart attack. I just shouldn't have said yes to this interview. Apparently I'm suppossed to interview some super rich man that I should have heard of but unfortunately I have not.

I should be studying for my final exams and finish my two last essays. But I do owe Julia a favour so I figured I could say yes to this interview. 

Today I have to drive over a hundred miles to meet with the big CEO of Horan Enterprises. Sadly Julia couldn't move the date of the interview because Mr. Horan's time is "so precious and valuable" than mine or Julia's. 

“Jade, I’m really sorry that you have to step in like this but it did take me nine months to get this interview. And if I reschedule it will take another 6 months. I'm so thankful that you will do this interview” Julia says in her shaky voice, thanks to all the crying from last night when she found out about her mothers heart attack.

“Don't worry Julia, I already said that I was going to do it. So don't push it. Say hello to your parents from me” I said as I walked out the door.

I could hear her scream "don't be late" as I walked out of my apartment and walk down to the car. The roads are clear as I drive away from North Carolina and head to New York. I'm really thankful that Julia lent me her Mercedes. My car wouldn't even have made it half way. 

My destination is the headquarters of Mr. Horan's global enterprise. The building is huge and I'm guessing it's about a twenty-story building. The whole building is made of glass and steel. The architecture of this building is fascinating. The front doors are made of glass. I take a look at my clock and it's a quarter to two. Perfect, just in time. 

I walked into the lobby and it was huge. It had a cold vibe. All I could see in the lobby was a lot of glass and white. I make my way to the desk, where I find a blonde girl. I could tell she was young. She smiled at me and I noticed that she was wearing a suit jacket and a white shirt. 

"Jade Morgan for Julia Rowell"

“Excuse me one moment, Miss Morgan.” She says as she arches her eyebrow slightly as I stand before her. I start to feel self conscious about my clothes. I should have borrowed Julia's formal blazer. 

“Miss Rowell is expected. Please sign in here, Miss Morgan. After signing this you'll take the elevator in the middle and press the button to the twentieth floor.” She says and smiles kindly at me.

She hands me a security pass that has VISITOR stamped on the front. I thank her and walk over to the elevetors. I step into the elevator and press the button to the twentieth floor, just like she had told me. 

The doors open and I'm once again in another huge white lobby. I walk over to the desk and meet another young blonde woman who is also dressed in black and white. She rises and greets me.

“Miss Morgan, could you wait here, please?” She says calmly and points to a seated area of white leather chairs.

Behind the leather chairs is a huge glass-walled meeting room with an enormous dark wood table and it has at least twenty matching chairs around it. The view was amazing from that room. You could see the beautiful New York skyline. Wow, it was really breathtaking.

I sit down on a white leather couch, and take out the questions from my bag. I go through them, inwardly cursing Julia for not providing me with a some information about Mr. Horan. I know absolutely nothing about this man that I’m about to interview. He could be ninety or he could be thirty. I hate that I didn't google him so I could get some kind of information about him before I walked into this building. I'm going to come as stupid.

I’ve never been comfortable with one-on-one interviews. I prefer group discussion where I can sit in the back of the room. But most of all I prefer my own company. For example, reading a classic British novel or just curled up in a chair at the library on campus. 

I roll my eyes at myself. I need to get a grip. Judging from the building, I'm guessing that Horan is in his forties, fit, tanned, and still has hair on his head.

My thoughts get interrupted by another elegant, black and white dressed blonde who comes out of a large door to the right. What is it with all the  blondes? I take a deep breath and stand up.

“Miss Morgan?” the latest blonde asks.

“Yes,” I croak, and my voice sounds shaky and nervous. I clear my throat. “Yes.” That sounded more confident.

“Mr. Horan will see you in a moment. May I take your jacket?”

“Oh yes, thank you.” I struggle out of the jacket.

“Have you been offered any refreshment?”

“Hmm, no.”

“Would you like tea, coffee, water?” she asks.

“A glass of water would be lovely, thanks” I murmur.

“Amanda, please fetch Miss Morgan a glass of water.” Her voice is harsh. Amanda scoots up immediately and hurries to a door on the other side of the foyer.

“My apologies, Miss Morgan, Amanda is our new intern. Please be seated. Mr. Horan will be ready for you in five minutes.”

Amanda returns with a glass of iced water.

“Here you go, Miss Morgan.”

“Thank you.”

Both of the blondes walk back to the desk and continue working.

Maybe Mr. Horan insists on all his employees being blonde. I’m wondering if that’s even legal. The office door opens and a tall, elegantly dressed, African-American man exits. I look down at my clothes and the self consciousness returns. My clothes definitely don't fit into this setting.