Prologue

It is a normal day. I wake up at my normal time and prepare for another day of school. My parents give me the same speech. My father looks me straight in the eyes and says,

"Smile."

He kisses me on the forehead and passes my backpack to me as I walk out the door, my mum calling after me,

"Rebeckah!!" She laughs

I turn to see her with her hands on her hips, swinging car keys around her finger.

"Forgetting something?"

I hold my hands out as she throws the keys towards me. I turn back and flash a smile before I get in the car and drive away. This is my life. I am happy. At least that's what I'm trying to convince myself sitting in the cold leather seats of the Haddon Heights Police Station. I had always known I was different, but this proves the theory. I hate it here. I want to go home, but at home there is nothing. Nothing besides the empty bedroom where my parents slept and the warm couch that smells of my dad's cologne. Tears fall effortlessly from my face just thinking about them. About what happened. The struggle. My parents. Blaine walks through the doors, his eyes red and swollen from his tears. I stand slowly, pinching my lips together. I hate seeing him like this. He is only 15, he doesn't need this. Nor does he want it. But then again, who does? I take a step toward him, my eyes fixated on his. In a sudden moment of sadness and terror I fall into his arms, burying my face in his shoulder. He let's out a sob and squeezes me tightly.

"Shh..." I wrap my arms around him, " we'll be okay,"

I'm lying. I don't know how I'm going to take care of him, how I'm going to take care of myself. What do we do after we step out of this police station. Do we just go home and keep living. I can't except that. It doesn't feel right to me. The feeling of knowing that Blaine and I are going to go home. To the place where it happened, numbs me. I push the thought from my mind. Blaine, focus on Blaine. I used to think death was natural. I mean, I know that it is. But there is nothing natural about cold-blooded murder.