Get Ready, Get Set

Today's the day. Reaping day. Once a year, one boy and one girl are chosen to compete in a fight to the death in which only one lone victor remains. That victor is sent to the victor's village to live and their name is never put into the drawing again.

I've been worried about what's gonna happen if I get chosen. What if I don't come back? What if I can't protect my family? Even if I do get my name drawn, and I die, Niall would take care of my family. He could trap animals for them, and even cook for them.

I decided to go hunting to put my mind at ease. I found my hidden weapons in the tree trunks. I watched as a deer stopped to eat the grass in the forest. I pulled back an arrow, but right as I did. I heard the familiar voice of Niall.

"What are you gonna do with that after you kill it, Graceful?" He smirked and I turned around, after the deer left.

"Damn you, Niall!" I yelled.

"What would you do with that after you kill it?" He laughed.

"I don't know. Sell it to some peacekeepers."

"Peacekeepers? On reaping day?"

"Like you don't sell to peacekeepers."

"Not today!"

"How many times is your name in today?"

"42." He said quietly. I looked down sadly.

Hours passed until my sister, Perrie, and I went and headed in to the sign up. I went through an outrageously long line until I got my finger pricked for blood, and walked in. I couldn't find Perrie. I watched as a tal woman dressed in capitol clothing strut up onto the stage.

"Welcome, welcome everyone! To the 74th annual hunger games!" She clapped, but nobody joined in. She mouthed every word to a video from the capitol. "Oh I just love that! Now it's time to choose two corageous district 12 tributes! May the odds be ever in your favor!"

She walked over to a large bowl filled with many names. She pulled one from the bowl and walked over to the microphone. "Perrie Edwards!"

My face went flushed. I ran to the aisle. "Perrie! Perrie!" Peacekeepers tried to hold me back. "I volunteer! I volunteer!" I screamed. The peacekeepers let me go. "I volunteer as tribute." 

Perrie started to scream as I walked onto the stage. Niall held her back and brought her back to the crowd. The woman in district clothing introduced herself softly. Caroline.

"What's your name, tribute?"

"Grace. Grace Edwards."

"I bet that was your sister, huh?"

"Yes."

She walked over to a large, fish tank looking bowl and grabbed a name out it. She went back over to the microphone and unfolded the name. "Harry Styles!"

Everybody turned their heads to the curly haired boy. I recognized him. My family was almost starving. He threw me a loaf of bread in the rain. I thought I saw his mom hit him for burning the bread. But the loaf tasted wonderful.

He walked up onto the stage and Caroline said, "A round of applause for our two district twelve tributes!" She clapped but nobody else did. And next thing I knew, we were on a train to the capitol for the tribute parade.

"Let me go get your mentor, Andy." Caroline rolled her eyes. "He's probably in the bar cart."

She walked out of the room and Harry looked at me. "Have you met him? Andy?"

I said nothing.

He just looked away as Andy walked into the room. He immediately walked over the drinks and looked in the ice bucket. "Where's the ice?" He asked as he poured a drink.