Why he left me?

The doorbell rang and he entered the house saying, "Hello Sweetie!!".

"What are these bags in your hands", I asked in surprise. "It's nothing, just few gifts for kids and my lovely wife", he replied with a wink and smile.

He gave us our gifts one by one with a kiss on our cheeks. Kids were so happy looking their gifts. We then quickly finished our dinner, watched TV for some time and went to bed.

"Honey, did something happen today? I mean, you got gifts for us without any occasion and you seem to be in a different mood ", I asked with raised eyebrows, while resting my head on his arms.

"Life itself is one surprise, you never know what will happen tomorrow, and then you will feel this surprise of mine as nothing", he responded in a serious tone.

"Ok ok, don't get serious, Mr. Philosopher, I am asking just out of curiosity, otherwise I am very much impressed, now sleep", I said by squeezing his cheeks.

He cuddled me and we both fell asleep.

Next morning...

"Honey, What's the time? Please wake me up after 15 mins." I squawked with closed eyes and curled up in the bed without waiting for a reply. After around 20 mins, I started searching for my mobile around the pillow with my eyes still closed. I slightly opened my eyes and checked the time. My senses suddenly started working. "Oh, It's 6:15, come on get up", I told myself.

"Varun, why did you not wake me up?" I asked him while coming out of the bedroom. Varun was not there. I checked in the kitchen, then another room, bathroom, but he was nowhere. I stood in the middle of the room and thought for a sec, "Where can he be?"

"Oh, maybe he has gone for running. Hmm, that's possible. No problem, by the time he comes, will freshen up and prepare tea for both of us". I chattered to myself.

I went to the bathroom, opened the tap and started splashing water on my face and as I raised my face to see in the mirror, I saw two yellow sticky notes with some message.

I quickly pulled out one and started reading,

Dear Lavanya,

"I am going to Australia. When you will get this note, I would have left from here. I always wanted to work abroad, but you never agreed to that decision and always convinced me not to go anywhere."

I didn't understand anything and worriedly pulled out another note,

"But this time, I don't want to leave this opportunity and so am going without telling you. I am sorry. I don't know when will I come back, but I have left credit and debit cards with enough money for you and kids in the living room unit. I will give you a call on reaching there."

With love, Varun.

My heart was in my mouth and for a second I lost all my senses of thinking. I read, again and again, moving my eyes from one note to another.

He left us? What? I can't believe. Varun left us? I was confirming to myself taking my feet back and sliding my body down on the ground with my head leaning against the wall. My heart almost stopped and I wanted to cry but couldn't as I just didn't want to believe it.

When I came back to my senses, I broke down as if my heart was shredded into million parts and I started sobbing loudly, "This is not possible. I will talk to him, he will come back and if he doesn't want to, then we will shift to Australia. I can't see my happy family getting parted like this". I gathered myself, got out of the bathroom and immediately grabbed my phone. I called him repeatedly, but in vain as his number was not reachable.