Chapter One

Chapter One:

                I ran down the halls of sick, miserable souls as fast as my legs have ever carried me. My arms stretched out in front of me as I pushed my body against the double doors into his office. He stood with his back to me, staring out the windows at the souls below. I crossed the room and stood behind his shoulder, to get a quick glimpse of my dying world.

                Medical teams ran from tower to tower trying their best to comfort each and every soul that clung to their help. No one had succumbed to the illness yet, but death was at the door for most. It pained me to see my people in so much pain. The yearning to be healed was in everyone’s hearts.

                Croix wasn’t always like this. There was a time of health, when everyone laughed and enjoyed the strength we had. It wasn’t until one soul caught the virus that it spread like sand in the wind, getting stuck in every place it touched. Before long, the happiness that was there before dissipated and no longer existed. It was something that was missed among all.

                I am a part of a small group that has yet to be infected. I was patient for days as my family fell ill, waiting for my turn to get the virus, but it never took over my body. Something I was shocked about. Ronan, the leader of our world, gathered all of us immune into one group. He gave us the hope that we would soon find the cure.

                The cure of course doesn’t exist; at least not an existence that we have knowledge of. Bands of researchers have pried open the mysteries of the universe trying to find it. There’s been word of its whereabouts, and it’s about time, any later and I was sure our world would cease to live.

                I turned to Ronan at the sound of his sigh. My eyes traveled over his face for sign of what he had to say. Nothing was given away.

                “Is the word true? Has it been found?” I whispered. I didn’t want to disturb his thoughts by raising my voice too high. He moved his eyes to peer down at me.

                “We will discuss it as soon as the others arrive.” He told me. He turned around and reached for his chair. I waited as he lowered himself into it, before I walked to my chair in the half circle in front the tall desk.

                My mind was crawling with curiosity. It was almost too much to bear. I began tapping my feet together to let the energy escape. I focused my eyes on the edge of the red and gold rug that swept under the desk, to keep from letting them fly around the room. I whirled around at the sound of the door creaking open. Maiblee crossed the room, and slumped into the seat next to mine. Her bright glowing orange hair slid over her shoulders. I reached up to twist my plain as night black and blue strands self-consciously. I always admired those born with bright colors. My sister’s was pink before her sickness. It was now a pale white, as was all those under control of the illness.  

                I continued my stare at the rug. It felt as if the rest of them just weren’t coming. In my mind I begged Ronan to just tell. This was news I’d been awaiting for more than I can count on my fingers.  I felt someone bump my chair. I glanced up to see Cylan sit beside me. I hadn’t even heard the door creek at his entrance. I could feel tension radiating from his soul. I nudged him with my elbow, and turned my head to the side, asking if he was okay. He just shook his head and fixed his eyes away. The points of his ears were a bright red.

                “Sorry I’m late!” Rocco spoke as he ran through the doors. I winced at the volume of his words. It had been so quiet. Ronan shook his head and gestured to the chair next to Maiblee. She rolled her eyes as he took the seat, and stared at the ceiling. Rocco wasn’t late. Enzo had yet to arrive. He was always the last.