Chapter 1

10 years ago

The air smelled of antiseptic and death, people walked in the hallway drifting here and there. If she opened her mouth she could almost taste the hand sanitizers. Her mother was currently sleeping in the chair next to hers holding her sister's, who laid down on the hospital bed, hands so tightly her knuckles turned white. The clock on the wall was the only noise in the room each second getting louder by the minute. Katherine Mckinnon did not like hospitals, they always reminded her of death a shadowy figure she tried to keep at bay in the deepest parts of her imaginations. The beeping of the machine reminded her that her sister was laying on the bed fighting for her life with every breath. A tube was stuck down her throat so she could live, the tears were threatening to run down her face but she kept it together.

Tick tock

Tick tock

Tick tock

Getting she walked towards the bathroom and opened the water splashing it on her face. Her hair was all over the place, bloodshot eyes, chapped lips, she did not look her best.

"My condolences."

Tears trailed down her face, as the first sob escaped her, then a second.

"Your daughter... due to the collision, the signals between her muscles and brain are not currently working right. Paralysis-"

"Paralysis? M-my d-daughter is not paralyzed... She can't be p-paralysed."

"Your daughter's lower parts are the only thing that she can't move, but she can still talk-"

"But she won't be able to walk, or d-dance."

Knock Knock.

"Katherine? Katherine? Are you in there sweetie?" The voice of her mother interrupted, looking for a tissue she quickly wiped away the tears and splashed her face once more.

"Yeah mom, I'll be out in a second," looking at herself once more, then opened the door. Her mother, Shae Mckinnon, was a very tall woman with dark skin and dark brown eyes that were currently red from crying. Her nose was runny which she kept wiping with a used toilet paper because there were no tissues.

"Oh honey, could you go get us some snacks from the machine, and some water? Here take this." Nodding she took the money and walked out, hesitating as she heard her mother sniffling.

She walked past several nurses, their shoes squeaking over the linoleum floor, the lights in the halls were dim some of them flickering here and there. She walked towards the vending machine and entered the dollar. She looked back and saw a boy standing there with a dollar in his hands waiting. He stood taller than her, with tousled dark hair and a grim face on. turning back to the vending and saw that her chip was stuck in the vending machine, she shook it trying to get the chips out but it was stuck.

"Come on," She shook it still trying to get the chips to unstuck.

"Do you need help?" the boy standing behind her asked, his arms were crossed and his lips twitched in amusement.

"That would help thank you." He stepped forward and smacked the machine hard the chips moved a bit before he smacked it again and the chips fell.

"Thank you," She said and stepped forward retrieving her chips.

"The trick is to smack it hard enough for it to feel pain," he joked. She gave a wry smile before nodding and walking away. Looking back she saw him looking at her and waved to him. He waved back before going back to once again. She smiled at his silliness, the first one in the first time ever since her father died.

10 years later

"Mr. Lopez, you wanted to see me?" Katherine McKinnon walked into the large office. The high windows made the view of Manhattan more beautiful in the daylight then it did at night. The sun shone through them reflecting making the shadows of the furniture spread out on the tiled white floor. The man sitting behind the desk made a motioning motion with his hand while the other one was too busy typing up with his other ones. She enters closing the door behind her, crossing the room she stood behind the horrendously yellow chairs putting her hands on top of it to steady herself. Her body thrummed with excitement, her hands shaking hard to make the chairs shake themselves. The man looked up from his typing and gave a wry smile. His cold blue eyes scrutinizing and calculating. She smiled back at him hers unsure at what he was going to ask her, the ticking sound of the clock to her right made her the more nervous. The anticipation of what he is going to ask her was overwhelming.