The acceptance

"Mom!!!" I yelled from the living room.

"What is it Alana can't you see I'm doing something right now" she said in frustration

"Mom It's important, I got into Eastern!! The only thing I'd have to do is this stupid summer course but I don't care I got in to a school that has the best social work program in Connecticut"

"Wow Alana that's amazing!"
"When will you have to go to the summer session?" My mom says

"I start on July 4th" I said

That's so weird that they have us move in on a holiday, but I don't even care ahhh I'm going to Eastern !

I ran down the hall to call everyone and brag about how amazing of an opportunity this is for me, in high school my grades were not my top priority. I was too concerned with my mother who has Multiple Sclerosis which means she has a hard time walking as well as thinking properly. She will unfortunately end up in a wheel chair sometime soon.

Growing up with her being sick was hard, in a way I had to grow up fast, I never thought that I'd have the opportunity to get into a school with my mediocre gpa of a 2.6. My mom was my highest priority and I know her as well as the rest of my family is so proud of me.

I take a look at the brochure Eastern sent me and was mesmerized by the fun looking pictures. The program looked amazing! And to top it all off I get to meet new people and see what life is really like outside of Meriden CT which is my home town.

It was already May of 2018 which means I only have a couple more months and I'll be off at this summer program. By the way they're describing it it'll be quite difficult but I know that not only my mom is counting on me but my whole family is counting on me so for that as well as the amazing social work program they have.

I told my mom with confidence to make the first deposit.

Little did I know I'd be meeting a special someone there that would completely turn my world upside down.