The Anouncment

UNIVERSAL POV.

The television comes on and the National Anthom plays and President Snow, our "courageous" leader appears.

"As we all know with the Treaty of Treason states every 25 years there will a Quarter Quell. This years theme will be..." There is a long pause and you can feel the country in suspense. Except for the damned Capitol people using us for their amusement.

"On the 50th Hunger Games, second Quarter Quell, showing the Districts no matter how hard they fight, there will be more to over come, twice the amount of tributes will be sent to the Games. Happy Hunger Games and may the odds be EVER in you favour!

Haymitch Adernathy POV

"THIS IS BULLSHIT!! " roars my mother, " who in the hell do they think they are sending 48 children to be SLAUGHTERED?!"

" Patricia," my father, Jeff, replies calmly even though I can see the anger in his eyes, " They're the Capitol and have complete and utter control over everything we do. You heard what Snow said, no matter how hard we fight there are still obstacles to overcome."

" What the hell ever!" She yells as she storms out of the house me and my sister, Anna, watch in awe. My father starts to run out after her until we see it.

"Ma'am you know curfue is past dar-" the peacekeeper is cut off by my mother punching him in the gut.

" NO! MOM!" Anna starts to run out until there's a loud bang and blood splatters everywhere. Then there's silence. I can't move because I'm in utter shock. Then it hits me.

I just witnessed my mother's death and her blood is all over our front lawn. Then I break down balling, even though I'm 16, I just cry and cry. The only thing that makes it worse is that the Reapings are in a month. If I'm picked I will win this no matter what.