snsd//girls generation vs 2ne1

START;

Girls' Generation's musical style mixes genres of pop, R&B and dance. The members usually leave song writing to experts because SM Entertainment has a competitive A&R(Artist and Repertoire) team that devises all the proper concepts and songs for each artist. The group's songs have been mostly composed by SM Entertainment's producer Yoo Young Jin since their debut, but they recently began to ask famous foreign artists such as The Underdogs, Lindy Robbins and Brent Paschke for song writing. Through its stage performance, Girls' Generation pursues perfection rather than freedom.

2NE1's music is based primarily upon hip hop. Their hits have been mostly composed by YG Entertainment's producer Teddy, and the songs have some consistent atmosphere. However, there was a big change. Through the group's second regular album released in early 2014, leader CL started to release her self written songs. Based on trap beats, she has composed attractive tracks. As you can see in the case of Big Bang's G-Dragon, 2NE1's label mate, YG tends to utilize its artist's distinct individuality. 2NE1 pursues freedom rather than perfection. Some people seems to think that 2NE1 has better musicality than Girls' Generation because 2NE1 does their own music.

SM and YG have completely different styles of public relation activity. As I'm working as a journalist, I mainly talk with press agents of both agencies.

SM aims at perfection. They maintain good relationship with all the types of media and have no enemies. If media demands explanation about significant issues such as rumors of SM artist's romance with somebody, SM offers reply as soon as possible.

However, YG's public relation activity has selective system. Not every media likes the agency because YG just takes good care of their nearest media outlets. YG has some enemies, but it also has reliable advocates. And if media demands explanation about sensitive issues such as rumors of YG artist's romance with somebody, YG just ignores calls.

Before taking up the main subject, I want to say that I'm not talking about 'better' girl group. Both of Girls' Generation and 2NE1 are the most representative girl groups in Korea, and each member has great skill as a competitive pop singer. It's just a matter of difference in genre and style.

Anyway, I asked some Kpop industry workers about the result of the confrontation between Girls' Generation and 2NE1. They said that it was a near race but Girls' Generation is the winner this time. Girls' Generation lifted more No.1 trophies on various music chart shows, while the group was one jump ahead of 2NE1 on viewers' vote, album sales and music video views. 2NE1 was only strong on online music charts.

The official from one Kpop agency stated, "Of course, 2NE1 also showed its strength as a competent girl group. But thanks to its huge fan base and agency's full support, Girls' Generation has been in the ascendant."

Before the album release, Girls' Generation announced that they will release the music video of 'Mr. Mr.' on February 19 and the album on February 24. And after the announcement, YG made a confrontation declaration by saying that 2NE1's album will be released on February 24. YG also gave a notice of the confrontation through its official twitter account.

After then, Girls' Generation delayed its comeback by reason of music video's loss of data problem, while 2NE1 also delayed the schedule. When two singers go head to head, it is usually considered advantageous to release album later than the competitor.

Well, through the war of nerves, it seems that YG and 2NE1 have obtained tangible benefits. The official told me, "It was a smart marketing strategy. 2NE1 raised the issue and succeeded in attracting public attention."

Before 2014, 2NE1 was being closely followed by Sistar who made hits consecutively with its songs like 'Gone not around any longer' and 'Give it to me'. However, by going head to head with Girls' Generation, 2NE1 proved that it is the top level Kpop girl group.

THANKS FOR READING HOPE U ENJOY READING GUYS

PLEASE VOTE AND PLEASE COMMENT ALSO :)

VOTE: GIRLS GENERATION OR 2NE1?