{chapter 1: birthday}

Alexa's PoV

I woke up around 9 or 10 am and instantly got out of bed, stretching. I yawned as I walked towards my dresser. It's my birthday today so I figured I'd wear a linkin park shirt and dark blue jeans.

I remembered I did actually had to go to work today but it's a late shift so I'd have to leave at 7 pm, I work in a restaurant as a waitress.. it's not that much but it pays pretty well and my boss is very kind.

As I got to the kitchen for breakfast, my phone started ringing, it was my friend, Norah. My finger instantly went to the accept button and Norah yelled through the phone "Gefeliciteerd!" "What?" I chuckled. She chuckled loudly "It's happy birthday in Dutch!" "Ahh, okay! Wait, that's that 'Nobody's listening'! Are you in your car?" I said as I jumped up in excitement of hearing linkin park. Norah laughed "yeah yeah, I'm on my way to your house, don't cook anything, I got you breakfast! And gifts!"

"Is it Mike?" I asked. Norah laughed "no sadly not.", I whined "awww! Damn it." Before laughing along. "You'll like these gifts though. By the way, Open your front door." Norah said and I walked to the front door and there she was "hey Norah!" I said through the phone. "Hey Alexa!" Norah spoke back through the phone before hanging up.

"So, you're 23!" Norah cheered! She was holding a few bags, two were gift bags, another was her regular bag that she always carried with her, another was a bag with the breakfast she got and she also had a bag with some other gifts. "I know!" I yelled, very excited. She entered my apartment and put down the bags, only holding onto the bag with food. She walked to a countertop and placed the bag onto it before turning around to face me "so! I got you, pancakes and bacon.". I thanked her and We started eating breakfast, Norah sipped her drink before asking "so, who's visiting today?" "Just my brother, my parents and you." I said. Norah nodded, taking a bite of her blueberry pancakes. We finished our breakfast, just talking about the fact that linkin park was coming to town and me fangirling about Mike.

"Peep the style and the kids checking for it
The number one question is how could you ignore it
We drop right back in the cut over basement tracks
With raps that got you backing this up like rewind that
We're just rolling with the rhythm
Rise from the ashes of stylistic division
With these non-stop lyrics of life living
Not to forgotten but still unforgiven
But in the meantime there are those who want to
Talk this and that, so I suppose
It gets to a point feelings gotta get hurt
And get dirty with the people spreading the dirt" Mike's raps filled the room and I sang along, when Chester's part came in Norah sang "Try to give you warning but everyone ignores me"

"Told you everything loud and clear" I sang the words along. Norah sang Chester's part again "But nobody's listening call to you so clearly
But you don't want to hear me"
"Told you everything loud and clear."
"But nobody's listening"

We just looked at each other before suddenly bursting out laughing. We weren't like overly good singers, but we weren't bad.. I guess. I laughed at my own thoughts, we were pretty bad, Norah usually tells me I can sing and rap pretty good but I don't know, she can sing pretty well though. anyways, we laughed until 'Session' started playing and the doorbell rang. I walked to the door to answer, "happy birthday Alexa!" It was my brother, Aiden. "Thank you!" I smiled as I hugged him tightly. He hugged me back, and he looked into my living room where Norah was just Minding her own business, which means laying on the couch, singing along loudly to 'numb' like no one was around.

"I've become so numb I can't feel you there! Become so tired so much more aware! By becoming this, all I want to do! Is be more like me and be less like- Aiden!" She jumped off from the couch smiling, Norah and I have been friends for forever and Aiden is like a brother to her too. They hugged and before I could close the front door I heard "Alexa, Sweetie." It was my mom and my dad was behind her. "Hey mom! Hey dad!" I said, smiling. I let them in and I got them Coffee and tea.

"So Alexa, you're 23 now... when are you getting married?" My mother asked. My face turned crimson but I answered "as soon as Mike Shinoda wants to."

Norah let out a 'hah!' And covered her mouth with her hand "excuse me.."

My mom sighed "Alexa, you're 23 years old and you're telling me you still have hope for that Mike Shinoda man? He might have a girlfriend.." "nah, trust me I'd know." I interrupted her, earning a grin from Norah. My dad placed a hand on my mother's shoulder "Eliza, It's Alexa's birthday, can we not bring this up now? Besides, Alexa can't help liking this guy.". My dad was always supportive and found it important to let both of his kids be whoever they wanted to be, which I loved about him. "Anyways... birthday cake!" Norah said before getting up to get it out of the fridge, she always tried to make awkward situations less awkward... which sometimes worked.

She placed the cake onto the table and my mother helped her with getting plates and forks.

I got asked to cut the cake but before I could my mom spoke "wait!" And she lit the birthday candles that were placed in a circle on the edge of the cake.

"Make a wish." My mother said. Norah whispered from behind me "Wish that Mike will show up at your house."

I chuckled, I had a different wish tho..