Prologue

Vampyr 1

Night. In the cold wind of what was to become the grim winter, seemingly dead trees cried their faded red leaves onto the forest floor. For a moment, he just stood and listened to the whispers of those spectres, a thing that he rarely ever afforded himself these days. Behind him, the fast breathing of a second person, a young woman, baited and stupid enough to come out here with him tonight. Fearsome whimpers and crying, quiet and weak for now because of the chloroform. The pale moon, the eye of what was left of god in him, shone indifferently upon the gruesome scenery, as his shadowy figure emerged from the darkness that the tree canopy cast down. Clad in all black, he imagined being hardly visible to her, with her numbed mind. Lazyly he strolled around her, the circles getting tighter ever so slightly each time, his gaze fixated on her half closed eyes, brown like warm timber. She stared back without even the slightes sign of fear, oddly enough. Remarkable. He went on drawing circles, like a wolf already sure of his prey. But he was no wolf, he thought, he was something else entirely. With that he kneeled beside the woman, for one brief moment appreciating the beauty of her long brown hair, before he took the knife and cut her throath. And without any prayer before the meal as to not waste, he brought his lips to the gaping wound and drank. Several minutes passed, his face, his body getting covered in blood. The thought of him consuming her almost made him cry, although he never cried. It was the best thing in the world, loving someone.
After it was done, he got up to his feet, slowly as to honour this special moment, and with closed eyes savoured the feeling of his blood soaked skin. Opening his eyes again, there she was, amidst the red leaves, in the light of the moon.
The sound of steps nearby made him almost sober again. He turned around, the outlines of someone between the trees. For some time, he just stood there and stared, and was pretty sure whoever was standing there did the same. Then, confidently he slowly started walking towards the guy. Only it wasn't a guy, it was a girl, as he could see after a few steps. She stood there like frozen in time, not making any attempt to escape. Two or three meters in front of her he stopped, grinning, showing bloody theeth.
“Don't you at least wanna try to run?“ he mocked.
“No,“ she said, with a voice cold as ice, “in fact, I was looking for you.“
In that moment he saw her hands, covered in blood.