Chapter 1. Bitter Acquaintance

Grand Palace
London
December 24th, 1886
Arabelle Jean

    I gracefully walked down the halls, my nose buried in my book. I have a weakness for a good romance, seeing as I fancy that now more than ever. The Prince at the palace has caught my eye ever since I first laid eyes on him. I had him in one my classes, criminology. It made for a rather interesting class. My mother made a deal with the palace, she would work as a maid if I could attend classes for a proper education. Rather reluctantly they agreed to her terms. I thought the idea was quite absurd but I kept my opinions to myself. My mother sent word to meet her at the palace gates, wrote that we would be taking a ride in the snow. I scolded her mentally for making such a harsh and cold decision. It was brutally cold out there, beautiful but brutal. I headed towards the palace gate, wondering what in particular my mother wanted to speak to me about. Could it be the Prince? Or something about my father's death? Or perhaps my brother contacted my mother? Now that would make for an interesting, yet hurtful, story. I haven't received a letter from Frederick for years. Occasionally he will write to my mother to inform her he was well, but nothing more. At first I thought it was because of the death of father. Though as time went on I came to the conclusion he simply didn't love me. My mind wandered to places I wasn't quite sure it should go to.

    I opened the palace gates, only to be greeted with a harsh chilling breeze slapping my face. I clung to my coat in a strong need to find warmth. Snow fell on my hair, carelessly placing itself on the deep brown waves. I reached the carriage and opened the door, flinging myself on the fur coated bench. My teeth clattered violently as I attempted to shiver off the cold.

    "H-hello, mother… w-what was s-so important you h-had to r-rip me from my w-warmth of the f-fire?" I inquired all the while stuttering. I rubbed my arms helplessly begging for warmth to find me.

    "It's about your father." This sparked a curiosity in me that I knew wouldn't easily be detained. "Promise me you won't go angry? You mustn't leave me, you're all I have left." She begged wearily. My curiosity only grew larger.

    "I promise, now please get on with it." My heart raced against my chest as she inhaled. I've never seen her so unguarded, so unsure before. It was maddening to see such a thing bother her so deeply.

    "I told you your father passed away from influenza. I told you that you couldn't see the body because the disease had eaten him up. None of which was truthful." I blinked her, what a vile lie to tell your child. Whether out of protection or not, I deserved the truth.

    "What exactly happened then, mother?" My tone was sharp and fierce, much unlike my heart at the moment.

    "Your father was murdered, not gently. I scrambled to get us here, as far away from that wretched place as possible. I feared they might come for you as well." Tears dropped from her eyes as she choked out the words. However angry I felt towards her, I suppressed it deep within my soul, locking it away from my grasp.

    "Did they ever catch the murderer? Surely they must have by now. Seeing as it's been seven years later." Tears drained from my own eyes, glossing my cheeks with salty water. I attempted to hold onto my strength, but that too fled from my reach.

    "No… no they did not." Mother tore her gaze from eyes and dropped it the carriage floor. I couldn't breathe, air was scarce in my lungs. I needed to escape this horrific mess at once, as if my very life depended on it. I told the horseman to stop immediately. I flung the door open, clutched my book and heaved myself out in one giant leap. I took off bursting through the castle gardens, sprinting to the palace gates. My lungs burned even more, tears fell rapidly and I could feel my pulse hammer loudly against my ears. The cold air froze my breath and insides. It drenched me with its bitter presence, engrossing me in the crisp winter air. I felt drained of life, completely numb with pain. Knowing my father was dead held its own vile place in my heart, murder was something I didn't know I could handle. I pushed my legs to carry me further; until there was no longer the sound of horse shoes drumming through my ears. My feet crunched through the icy snow, freezing my toes. Nevertheless, I continued springing to the doors. It seemed that the anger fell away as I ran, leaving me only with the depressed knowledge of the murder of my father.
    I opened the palace doors and slowed my pace to a womanly waltz. I needed a distraction. I opened my book, burying my nose in the adventure written on the pages. I let myself go, completely travelling to the exciting story. Everything fell to side as I read the book intently. I continued walking down the corridors, completely distracted and gripped by fantasy.
I was torn from my thoughts as I collided into a hard chest, my nose slamming into my book.