The Boy, the Beast and the Crown

It was bright that day, the sun, I will never forget it, because even at its brightest I always felt cold, except on that day. On that day I felt nothing. I could see the sun was bothering her, she turned her back on it, and I did the same. I usually felt tense before the shadows came, but not then. They came in full force, and she ran, I fought them off but she didn't stop running.

Was I going crazy? Probably, I thought about her safety as I lost my sanity. I was just being paranoid. The sun was high and she kept to the shadows as she usually did. Even after every attack, she always went back to the shadows. We had to find shelter, the sun was too bright, it always bothered her. We had to go north, the sun never shone there. She would be safe. I found a soft replica of an animal for her, she took it without a word, she never spoke. I never stopped speaking, but she never seemed to hear me.

Dusk. The shadows are everywhere, we had fallen asleep. One of them got her, and I cut it down. I cut them all down, she was not moving, and I panicked. I was enraged, I felt everything. Then she moved and my emotions settled. She hadn't woken up, she'd been asleep. There was a hole where light came through and she had been burned on her arm, I quickly gave her something to bind it with, she did. Footsteps. From outside, but there were six feet, two voices, a stranger and his beast. I pulled her up, or tried to, but she got the gist of it and ran out the back door, back to the sun. Shadows ahead of her, the stranger behind us.

They wouldn't leave us alone, they followed us, the stranger riding his great, golden beast. It was bigger than before, somehow far bigger, its body moved impossibly, and it had hollow white pupils in black cornea. We stopped in a cave and the beast moved on. I was holding my breath, so was she. I held her, but I felt nothing, just cold. I let go quickly and we moved on, the stranger and his beast rode further North. Her cloak keeping the sun off of her. The sun always bothered her, but she couldn't turn her back on it, and the shadows kept away from us. The sun, protector, destroyer. Make up your mind, you stupid star.