In the House of Stone and Light

Holy lady, show me my soul
Tell me of a place where I must surely go
Old man waiting at the gates for me
Give me the wisdom, give me the key
I'm telling you, I will not rest 'til I lay down my head
In the house of stone and light
——In the House of Stone and Light, Martin Page

January 15, 2019

Cait and Rae settled on the plane for the very short flight to a private airport in Page, Arizona.  It was the closest airport to Amangiri Resort in Canyon Point, Utah. 

Grayson and Luke had spared no expense and had booked them two days and one night at one of the most luxurious spas in the country.  But it was a little off the beaten path.

Amangiri's Aman Spa was a therapeutic spa that used the healing principles of the Navajo.  They'd assured Cait that they could accommodate her cast.  She wouldn't be able to do flotation therapy, but otherwise, she could get plenty of the spa experience. 

The flight was short and before they knew it, Cait and Rae were settling in their suite, with its terrace and panoramic views of the Utah desert.  After a light lunch, they were off to the spa. 

And they emerged before dinner both feeling a whole lot more calm and relaxed.  A massage, a red clay wrap and a facial could do that.

They ordered room service for dinner, just lounging in the plush spa robes. Rae knew that Cait had also tried meditating again a couple of times. She hated to bring up anything unpleasant, but she wanted to know how Cait was doing. So she finally asked.

Cait took a deep breath before she answered. "I think I'm starting to come to grips with some of this," she said slowly. "It's not easy. But it is temporary. That's what I keep telling myself. That this too will pass.  Whatever happens, it will all be over with eventually."

"You're right," Rae told her.  "That's exactly what you should focus on.  You'll get to June 22nd.  You'll get through whatever happens.  And Grayson will be with you."

Cait nodded.  "It's hard to let go. I'm a bit of a control freak.  I have a hard time giving up the idea that I can dictate the way things will go.  But this is out of my control. That's what I need to deal with."

"Is the meditation helping?" Rae asked. 

"I think a little," Cait sighed.  "Although its really freaking painful for me to admit, because Grayson's been on my ass to try it for months and I hate to let him think he's right very often. If I'm being honest, I have to admit that it's clearly made a big difference for him.  But even more than meditation, it's the mindfulness aspect of it.  Focusing on the moment I'm in.  Not worrying about the future, not dwelling on the past. Just appreciating the present. Giving all of my attention to what I'm doing right now."

"That," Rae smiled at her, "sounds like precisely the right thing."

"Thanks, Rae," Cait told her.  "For everything.  You've been amazing the past two weeks.  I don't know what I'd do without you."

"You're my best friend, Cait," Rae smiled. "I'll always be here when you need me."

*****

While Cait was relaxing at the spa, Grayson was enjoying the warmer weather of Los Angeles. One game road trips were rare, but that's what this was.