Stay.

The only noise echoing in the halls was his heavy boos thudding against the marble floor.  Unable to sleep he had been wandering the halls for at least and hour.  He passed closed doors, empty rooms, and rooms with ghostly furniture covered in sheets.

    He came to her door and pushed it open.  It was unlocked.  Walking through the doorway, the scent of vanilla and flowers washed over him.  She rolled over at the sound of creaking hinges.

    It would take me four steps to make it to her.

    He stepped once, as quietly as he could, making a small thud.  She moved again on to her back, arm limp across her chest.

    He stopped in a half step and lightly placed his foot back to the floor.  He looked at her with a small sense of longing and curiosity.  Even with her bright hazel eyes closed and her golden hair in tangles, strewn across her white pillow and drool on her face, she looked like and angel to him.

    He stepped forward, his boots behind him.  There was no more sound from the harsh boots and the bedroom's hardwood floors, only the howling wind in the leave less trees.  The cold floor chilled his feet through his socks, but he hardly noticed.  

    He was inches away from her bed now.  He didn't want to wake her from a peaceful slumber, but he so desperately wanted to feel her warmth.  Reaching out a hand, the grandfather clock stroke midnight.  Realizing how tired he really was and how long he'd been walking, he drew his hand back.

    Leaving he looked back.  Her body was still, barely breathing.  She looked small, fragile, as if one touch and she'd break into a million tiny little pieces.  She turned as her eyelids fluttered.

    He started towards the door, grabbing his boots, when she mumbled something inaudible and startled him.  Frozen in the doorway, he hears her speak again. One word, but his heartbeat in his ears drowned it out.

    "What?" he whispered.

    "Stay."