Prologue

People say the worst day of there life went by in a blur.  They were so broken and unable to process what was happening,  they blocked out the world and everything else was just white noise.
     I wish that was the same for me.
     The day my life was ripped away from me is the day I remember like it happened yesterday. 
     I remember the faint sound of the phone ringing.
     I remember the way my hands were shaking on the steering wheel.
     I remember the clicking of keys on a computer and the different beeps coming from different rooms.
     I remember the ticks of a black and white clock on the far wall.
     I remember feeling absolutely nothing when I heard the doctor's loud footsteps coming from down the hall.
     I remember feeling the tears rushing down my face before the doctor even began to speak.
     I remember the feeling of driving home,  how I could feel the walls that I had built around me crashing down.
     And I remember sitting on the edge of my bed days later, thinking about what the rest of my life was going to be. 
     But the thing I remembered the most...was when I smiled.
     When my  head hung down and I turned that ring around on my finger.  When I looked at the small engraved words and remembered the first time she said those words.
     For now and forever.....