1

Chase's P.O.V

It's Friday, last day of the year. No duty calls. No irritating tariffs. No, nothing. Just a large expanse of wet, green grass glistening under the heat of the morning sun. I sighed and started to rummage my hair to make it look so untidy, just the same as always. I pushed in a lungful of air and began to run, kicking the soccer ball between my feet in an obvious thud of rhythmic beat.

One, left...one, right...one, left...

Ahh, I almost snickered in exhileration as the ball squished and splurged in a puddle of water and booted it again in an unthinking excitement.

Zip.

Oops. That was an understatement. The ball sprinted in mid-air towards the opposite goal with so much force. I think I almost chiseled another heap of soccer ground. I was too strong. I laughed so loud at the thought and guffawed at my own private joke.

I drooped down stupidly upon the verdant, olive earth, still savoring the pleasure of the game. I put my hands at the back of my head as I watched how the cotton clouds motioned. The dewy field felt so cool for my back and I thought this is the time of the year when I wish I could ever get some sleep. Just to slip out for a small, insignificant part of a minute, then great. I could have the chance to sneak out from my hopeless, desperate, all-enduring, boring life.

Again.

Sigh.

Try as I may, I couldn't.

Another year had passed afresh, a year full of consequences and utter boredom. Everyday had been dull and impossibly monotonous than the last. Nothing new, nothing for me to love this life my family chose.

My family is different. We are fairly humans but not normal, humans who dream about the future, hypnotize, talk through minds and even make things move without any physical contact with it. We are strong. We are distinct.

Freaks.

I closed my eyes to prevent my sister from forcing in through my mind. Just a half second ago, I saw a single tinge of future inside my head.

See it. Hear it. Feel it. Taste it. I could read the future. However there are contradictions. There are minds with different frequencies, minds where I could only see fog or voices in their impending demise. Lately, I had been seeing broken pictures. A yellow bus with black figures embedded. It shows like 786 Turner's and...voices. Screaming, I might add. I do not really understand and I don't want owning the reponsibility of seeing any accidents.

What am I, a superhero?

:Chase?

Kenny's mental voice interrupted my thoughts. I hated it when she do this. Why can't she just call on the phone? I tried to tune her out, but for all the fate in the world, I tried in vain.

"Yes?" I said verbally, with a tone of irritation.

:Lily says we better get ready. New Year's Eve party at Wisteria's End tonight. We. Are. Going.

Great. Now my life's getting better and better.

:Oh, c'mon Chase! It's just a party, just do it please? For Lily?

Yeah, sure. No worries, I thought lazily. I don't want to disappoint and upset Lily, my mother for all intents and purposes. I love her like a true mom.

:Thanks! And oh, got you a costume, Romeo! Bye! Kenny said enthusiastically as finally, her voice faded from my mind.

I sighed heavily. This just couldn't be happening. Why haven't I seen it before? Maybe because I was too focused on the same future in the last few weeks.  

The yellow bus, what does that mean? And I could see Kyle's pale face but the future, I know, is entirely not for him.

The future became clearer and clearer every second, and every time I sensed it, it's like I there was a punched hole on my chest. Blood drained from my face as I saw myself running towards the chaos, a figure fidgeted helplessly on the ground. I just couldn't decipher what she looks like, who she was and what the future meant.

All I know is that this is something I need to find out, that this is something I was intented and needed to change, even if it hurts me. When I saw the dream, I felt a sudden, absolute urge to protect someone but I just couldn't see how. I closed my eyes tightly to push out my thoughts from my dormant mind.

Beep. Beep.

The phone rang in my pocket and I was definitely sure it wasn't from Kenny for she literally 'repelled' technology nowadays, if we are talking about her use of paranormal ways as means of communication. I jolted up and saw it was from Kyle.

"Yeah?" I answered.

"Hey, dude. You going tonight?" he asked, unmistakably happy.

"Unfortunately, yes. You? And why are you so happy like a bird with a French fry?" I asked jokingly.

"Hannah's going back. She's staying for highschool." Kyle informed.

Just a second away, another vision flashed in my mind. There was an explosion near a drive. The yellow bus was gone and everyone was running and screaming. I was trembling as I felt a cold body of a dead girl in my arms.

"Hey, man? You 'kay?" Kyle broke my instant stand. What happened? What will happen?

"Y-yeah." I lied, my voice hoarse. Of course, I'm not okay. I need to find that girl, I need to take her away from danger or from anything that would lead her from that...that...

"So the freshmeat's finally home?" I changed the topic and kept my voice calm.

"Yeah, and you should meet her. Be nice, okay? I don't really want her running back to Chicago because of you. By the way, uhm.. is Kenny going?" he asked, a little embarassed. He likes my sister.

"Yes." I said.

"That's great! I'll see you then. Bye!"

And the line plucked off. I stared at nowhere, still thinking about the new vision. It's getting more bonded, more fitting. But when will it happen? Why? And who is that dead girl lying dead in my arms?

I searched for the pictures of the near future but all I could find is a girl I've never ever met before, staring at me as if she stares right through my soul.

The girl was smiling brightly.

And it's all because of me.