Part 1

"I like you, Risa," said a soft voice.

Wait... who is this?

The faceless girl embraced me before I got the chance to respond. Then shortly, I heard a familiar voice from a distance.

"Ricchan! Ricchan!"

For a mere second, I thought I was hearing the voice in my dream, but when I felt the weight of a person jump on top of me I knew it was a certain someone. Ugh.

"Ricchan! Wake up! We're late to school." I'm late to school, not you. I thought.

Neru didn't leave her house until she knew I was awake. If she saw no movement through my window she would come over and make sure I got out of bed. And if I skipped a meal she would bug the hell out of me until I ate. She cared for me like a mother, except she never grew tired of the job. In fact, you would think everyday was a special day because she was always excited and smiling. I guess that's why we're friends. A negative person like me kind of needs her.

8:38AM

We walked in class through the back door, so we didn't attract attention, but still received glances from some of our classmates. Our homeroom teacher, Tsuchida-sensei was in the middle of introducing a new student. When he was done talking he gestured the girl to come in. A short girl (around 155cm) with long black hair entered the room. The students began chattering amongst themselves. Most of them calling her 'pretty' or 'cute.'

"Nice to meet you. I'm Harada Aoi."

When I heard the name, my eyes widened because I didn't recognize her at first. She was an old friend from elementary and middle school. She was supposed to attend this school her first year, but during the summer she moved away. A felt a rush of emotions hit me and realized the whole time I had been kicking my legs under the table.

I was really excited to see her again but... she's changed so much. The Aoi I knew had a baby face and was really obnoxious. Back in middle school, I'd tease her all the time by pinching her cheeks or messing up her hair. When she'd talk too much I'd tell her to shut up or scold her. She never got mad though because that was our friendship. 

Nevertheless, I don't know this Aoi. It's been three years and this Aoi has blossomed and looked more mature. I was quite intimidated by her because there was no way of telling how she felt about me. The only way was to approach her.

Lunch

Aoi sat at the last desk by the back door.  While everyone fooled around and ate in homeroom, I couldn't help but look at her. Was I too mean to her? 

"Do you know her?" Neru asked.

"We used to be best friends before she moved away."

"Go talk to her," insisted Fuuchan.

Before I could build up the courage to get out of my desk, Fuuchan had already forced me up and shoved me towards her direction. 

"You got this," she said with the biggest smile.

She was sitting alone eating when I interrupted her.

"Harada-"

"Harada?" The cute girl laughed.

"Sorry. I didn't know if it was okay to call you, Aoi. It's been so long," I felt my voice shaking.

"It's fine, take a seat."

I could feel my body trembling. Why am I so nervous?

"Are you okay?" She asked chuckling.

"I'm fine." A bunch of thoughts began suffocating me. 

How did she get so pretty? She's even prettier up close... Why is my heart racing? Is my face red? Can she tell how nervous I am? Maybe I should go to the bathroom.

"Since we have phones now, what's your number?" the cute girl asked.

"Ah, good idea," I said shyly as she handed me her phone. 

Our lunch was over before we could catch up, but we managed to exchange numbers. All I could hope for now was for our friendship to continue.  

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Pon's POV

I wonder why Risa is so fixated on the new girl... Does she find her cute or does she know her?

"Pon," called Monta snapping her fingers in front of me.

"What is it?"

"Do you want to get caught staring?"

"She'll never notice me..."

A nosey Sato butted into the conversation, "You better ask her out soon. There's so many girls that like her."

"Eh..?"

"You didn't know?" Sato took the seat in front of me.

"She's so oblivious and won't listen to me," Monta suggested.

"Well, if you really want to know, there's about 5 girls that like her. There's Neru, who sleeps over at Risa's a lot. I can imagine they've cuddled on many occasions, since Neru is-"

"I don't need all the details. Just say the names."

"Right. So there's Ozeki... Akanen... this past third year who graduated that I can't remember the name of... and I think the new girl was a past lover of Risa, but I'm just speculating by the way Risa has been looking at her." Man this girl talks so much.

"How do you know all of this?"

"I follow everyone on twitter and you all suck at hiding it."

"I see. I'll try to ask her out..."

3:22 PM

I sat at the staircase thinking about what Sato told us. It was all starting to make sense to me. Neru was a given, but I thought the whole time she was just a very clingy person, which is the reason I was never jealous. I had a weird feeling in my chest and thought the only way to get rid of it was to ask Risa today. I couldn't do it right away, though. So I sat here trying to collect myself.

This will be the first time I approach Risa outside of class. It might be too sudden for her, but if I don't do anything now I might miss my chance.

"I'm going to do it," I said to myself.

And coincidently, she was passing down the empty staircase.

"Risa." There's no turning back.

"Yes?"

"How do I say this...? I know we don't talk, but I really like you... and was wondering if you'd like to go out someday..."

Her face froze as she processed the sudden confession. Her eyes moved toward the ground, not knowing what to say. The atmosphere grew awkward until she finally responded.