Chapter 1: Cole

I was running as hard and fast as I could, the cold night air ripping at my hair and I pelted through the woods.

I could feel them, the wolves, gaining on me. They were going to catch up to me if I didn't think of something soon, and then it would be game over.

The soft earth beneath me becomes less smooth, more bumpy. I let my senses carry me through the maze of trees. As I reach a small clearing, I open my eyes and see a small boulder beneath an overhanging branch. I estimate it to be about four metres above the stone.

Three metre jump to the branch, I'll clear it easyI think to myself.

I bolt as fast as I can, clearing the 50m in seconds. I can feel the adrenaline pumping through my veigns, powering through my body and strengthening my legs. I spring myself onto the boulder and push off with too much force, way too much. I hit the branch with my stomch and flip over it, I barely manage to hold on.  I end up dangling from the branch by my hands, facing the way I'd run from.

I see the wolves, tearing through the forest, legs pistoning in a blur. They reach the clearing.

No. I was meant to escape, I wasn't meant to die. This is it. This is the end.

I feel strong, steel jaws lock around my right calf, and my grip loosen on the tree branch.

I drop to the ground, and the wolves close in.