Can I really do it...?

Two years ago

Two years ago...

A fourteen year old Monoma is sitting at a table looking at a top high school choices survey. He has a pencil in his hand.

He writes "U.A. H" and stops. He moves his hand over to write the i, but he's having a hard time writing more. He sighs and looks to his left at his mom who is folding some laundry on the couch.

"Mom?" He says.

"Yes, Neito?"

"...Be honest. Do you really think that... I could be a successful hero?"

She stops folding and looks at him.

"My quirk necessitates it for me to constantly rely on people," he continues. "My classmates are always telling me things like, 'There's no way you can become a superhero with that quirk. You wouldn't be able to do anything on your own. What kind of worthless hero is that?' ...And... they're not wrong... It's just reality. I really can't do anything on my own. It's just the truth. Besides, my time limit isn't all that that long-only five minutes. ...So...tell me what you think. Don't just tell me what I want to hear because I'm your son and you want to encourage me. I want you to give me your real thoughts."

His mom takes a second before speaking. "Well... it's true that you need to rely on other people for power... but-that doesn't ruin your potential as a hero! You can copy ANY quirk! Anything! Endeavor's Hellflame, Edgeshot's Foldabody, Ectoplasm's Clones and heck-even ALL MIGHT'S quirk, whatever-it's-called! And remember, you don't JUST have to rely on your own abilities! You could always get support gear too if you needed it! I totally think you could be a successful hero, Neito. I mean it."

"...Thanks," He says.

He finishes writing "U.A. High".

Later that year...

"32 Villain points and 9 rescue points!" The projection of All Might says. "You're in. Neito Monoma—Welcome to U.A.!"

He gets out of his chair and opens his door to tell his mom how he did. She's right outside waiting for him. Very close to the door. He jumps.

"Ah."

Her eyes are sparkling as she asks, "Well? How did you do?"

He does a victory pose and exclaims, "I got into U.A.!"

She squeals and hugs him. Monoma grunts.

"I knew you could do it!!! I'm so proud of you, my boy!!!"

"Mom, oW."

She stops hugging him and apologizes.

"O-oh, sorry."

His mom holds his hands and says, "...I'm so glad you got into U.A., Neito."

"Yeah. Me too."