Chapter I: Here's To Friendship

CHAPTER I

Here's To Friendship

April 2026

It was a sunny day, but something seemed eccentric about the day. The 4th avenue Street seemed to be muted. Thoughts running through the veins of every individual in the neighbourhood were left un-uttered. The reason perhaps was the rumour that entangled everyone's attention. The day, dated 12th April 2026, had witnessed something that made many neighbours take a note of a wonderful mind. A girl was seen walking on the lonely street holding on to a diary. With tears flowing down her cheeks she repeatedly mumbled "I was wrong! I was wrong!"

October 2010

October 7th 2010, a girl walked in miss Paterson's 10th grade class of 'Robert Carling High School'. Selena was a 15 year old girl, poetic and intelligent confederated with God's grace of beautiful skin, fair complexion; strikingly perfect black hair with curls. She caught the eye of every student in the class. When everyone was busy talking about the new girl in class, surprisingly, Ronald Joseph couldn't look away. Without uttering a word he watched the girl come and take a seat right next to him. Ronald had a slender body, tall stature, rational outlook towards everything happening around; he never opened up to anyone but his close friends. What stunned Ronald was that the new girl Selena was nothing like the others! Selena was confused and petrified to meet her new fellow classmates. She noticed that the guy seated next to her was the only one who was silent. With a desperate attempt to find a friend in her new class, she turned her eyes towards Ronald. "Hello!", cried Selena, "I am Selena Dias." Panic stricken Ronald, fumbling his words around, said "uh hey...are you new around here?" to which Selena replied, "Oh Yes! I am new here and I don't know anyone around this place". Ron: "oh! That is alright, this place is not half as bad as it seems. Umm... In fact, I have a feeling that you're going to enjoy Robert Carling High school". Selena hesitantly, "Oh uh... AND, If you don't mind! Could you show me around this place?" she nervously pouts.

Ronald was a shy boy .He never really interacted with anyone much. He never liked anyone so much that he would do something for them but this was about to change. Ronald, on realizing that he never mentioned his name replied with a joyous tone "By the way...I am Ronald Joseph and I would love to help you out!" By the end of that day, Ron and Selena had become friends. He really liked having her around. Selena also enjoyed Ronald's company and even made plans to discover this new town with his new friend, this coming weekend. Ronald promised to show her around and help her make new friends. Ronald was so thrilled and engrossed with his new friend that he completely forgot about his closest friend Michael Matthews. Michael had a fair complexion, shiny black hair and average height, slim body. Michael was often appreciated for his academic success combined with sports. Michael was the captain of Richard Carling High school's football team. His sense of humour could lift up the allure of any kind of crowd that he would be a part of. Michael and Ronald had been friends for 7 years now. Ronald was a good listener and Michael could talk for hours and even then would have more to tell. They had always been together ever since lower elementary school. Michael was often busy with his studies and football, but always had time for his best friend, Ronald. All this time, Michael was out for his football tournament and didn't get a chance to meet Selena yet. Ronald had told Selena all about Michael and she was excited to meet him. By now Selena had become friends with many and enjoyed Ronald's company the most. Ronald couldn't wait for Michael's arrival.

October 20th 2010

Michael arrived back in town. His mother Irene was more than happy to see her son come back after two weeks. Michael had an elder sister, Carrey. Michael's father David was not very fond of what Michael did. He wanted his son to focus on his academics. Michael however believed he could do it all. It always led to an argument between him and his father and slowly they were drifting apart. Also his sister Carrey was pampered too much by David and this always made him feel less significant in the eyes of David. He always looked up to his sister and was always making efforts to get his father's attention. On the other hand, Irene always tried to encourage Michael and was always there to support him. Michael had another argument with his father the following night. The only person Michael could talk to about his problems was Rebecca Donald, his friend from a summer camp. He always found her compassionating and felt relieved every time he talked to her. She was very good at pacifying Michael and he always followed her advice. even though they did not meet very often, there was not a single day he wouldn't write to her. Rebecca advised Michael to be optimistic and look forward to meeting Ronald and his new friend Selena. It was typical of Michael to hide his feelings when in school and burst out into tears at night. By now he could easily manage to put a lid on his feelings and pass the whole day with a charming smile.