The Day I Survived an Asteriod

The Day I survived an Asteroid 

All the screens around me were showing the warning, 

And yet some were ignoring it as if it were an everyday occurrence, 

Although it had been on the screens for a week now, it still doesn't make the situation any less dangerous, 

Of course now none of this makes any difference but I can still tell the story, 

My Name is Jessica Rowans 

And I survived the 2010 Asteroid  

... 

A Week Ago... (Monday)  

I remember that morning, it was supposed to be my first day in Sixth Form, I had my new suit laid out on my dresser, my bag and books safely packed downstairs and a supposedly great day ahead of me, but the I heard the sirens, and my life changed, I went downstairs quickly and quietly to find the source of the noise, it was my sister, she had turned on the TV and was staring blankly at the screen tears dripping from her eyes, as she saw me she pointed at the tiny screen, then I remember the first words she said that day. 

"We're all gonna die" 

Then my Mum rushed down the stairs screaming at us to turn the TV down, she came into the room and saw my sister, sitting there, staring blankly at the screen, still tearing up, then she repeated. 

"We're all gonna die" 

Then a look came across Mums face, a look of confusion, of wonder and of panic, but then she caught me staring at her and she turned away so her back was to me. Then it was all a blur, my Mum was trying to calm Abbie down, I was trying to change the channel to get rid of the siren, but it was on every channel, all of them flashing red with big black letters reading, 

RED ALERT Asteroid Impact in:  

5-10-15-34... 33... 32... 31... 30... 

The minute I saw this warning I knew I would do anything and everything in my power to keep my mum and sister safe, anything... 

Tuesday... 

4-5-22-13... 12... 11... 10... 9... 

We were all still trying to come to terms with yesterday's events, the Alerts were still blurring out of the TV, I was wearing my sweats and a t-shirt as I wasn't going out in all the chaos Abbie was still in a state of shock, we had to give her pills to help her sleep, My mum really needs sleep too but she says there is no time to sleep, we need to find a way to survive she said, I never knew then how hard it was going to be to survive. 

Mums got our survival planned out; she says that there is a bunker in Bedford left over from the war. She told us as long as the meteor hits water we will be safe underground, though the scientists won't know where it will land until the day before the collision, we did find out one fact today though, we now know the size of the projectile coming towards us, its 14 feet in diameter, oh god. 

Wednesday 

3-14-25-56... 55... 54... 53... 52... 

Now it seems everyone is starting to realise the gravity of the situation, there is worldwide panic, the shops are in chaos, and there is so much crime everywhere I go I feel like my world is falling apart, why here?, why now?, why me? My sister is in tears all the time, my mother's started drinking again, my family is in ruins, all because of a poorly predicted mass extinction event. I hate the government. 

Thursday 

2-5-30-15... 14... 13... 12... 11... 

Today we packed up and left our house, mum says we can never go back there again; I'll miss Hitchin, a little more than I can admit, but oh well. Abbie had to say goodbye to Dodger; Dodger is our retriever, mum says he can't come where we're going, he would be too much effort and money to keep, She says that the dog food would be too difficult to carry as we have to go on our motorbikes; one for me and dads old one for mum; My dad was shot a few years ago, he was in Afghanistan as a doctor, but he was caught late at night and shot in the head, mum says it would have been quick and painless, but I'm sure she doesn't care about that, she just wants them to find the man who shot him, but they never did. Anyway mum was on dads motor bike, Abbie was to go on the back of my bike as I am the more qualified biker. We set off on our bikes towards Bedford; the centre of England, looking for highground, we went by roads, forests, fields and towns, and everywhere was packed with cars, all trying to get away from the coast lines. We finally had to stop for the night, we had to sleep under a tree, mum said she would go and find some water, and she walked away, A few minutes later I heard a shot, and I knew mum wasn't coming back; I just sat there staring, not moving, not wanting to ever think again. When I finally did move; because my leg was falling asleep, I noticed a white flash coming from my bag; it was addressed to me, from mum.