Asylum

I, she, was held captive by her own mind. Her very own insane asylum that, like many, didn't even help her become sane again. It just taught her how to fake it until she could finally convince her own guard, she was fine enough to be set free.

A stupid decision she made, once she got back to reality, not even a few moments later was she dragged back into her deep, dark, lonesome, asylum. Her pain was aggravating, she was irrational.

She studied her fingertips in class each day, tracing the lines running in small circles, as she did in her mind until the pain got too tired to chase her. Why was something as simple as fingertips so useful in finding a serial killer? Because they're one of a kind, I guess.

The tapping of her feet got quicker and louder as she sat waiting patiently for the lesson to begin and for the voices around her to quiet down.

One alligator
Two alligator
Three alligator
Four.

Detention.

Warnings warnings warnings is all anyone is given yet no one cares. Five minutes in here, five quiet minutes until lunch.

Ring

I look around slowly, trying to stay calm, it's just the bell. I almost get out of my seat but remember detention.

Five minutes.

Five minutes.

Four minutes.

Three

Two

One—

Dismissed.

Hungry teenagers pile out of the classroom, she stays behind, packing her bag. Packing. No, she was just taking her time.

Dreading going to the cafeteria, that is the opposite of her quiet asylum. It was more like a zoo full of animals, each group another species of carnivores, and she the only human. They stare at her hungrily, waiting to prey on her insecurities. But she avoids them and goes to the one place that reminds her of her mind.

The asylum in the school.

The library.