》Chapter 39 ➹ don't push me away

"Um, no?" I pushed him away as he tried hard to get closer.

    "Why not? Worried about what Alexander might think?" he chuckled, his jerk side showing off again. -- "What are you? His own exclusive? Does he even know?"

    "What's going on here?" Alec's voice echoed in the training room. I froze and felt tears stinging in my eyes. How would he always show up everywhere? Was he stalking me? Had his soul elaborated the connection in a stronger way? But, most importantly, how much of the conversation had he heard?

    The only thing that came into my mind was to just run away without making eye contact with any of them. Probably the worst way to face this situation, but -- honestly -- I didn't want to face it. I was being childish, but I needed to avoid that whole mess.

    I hurried to the doors of the Institute and left, knowing well that the black-haired Shadowhunter was breathlessly running after me. I blended into the New York city crowd quite soon, which was super easy. I entered a make-up tiny shop and bought a couple of concealer sticks and applied it on each and every visible rune.

    My phone started buzzing, obviously. Jace. Wait, Jace? I picked up the call, unsure. -- "Blondie?"

    "Where the hell are you?!"

    "Heading to a coffee shop, you want something?" I joked.

    "Don't play mind games with me. I know you too well. You can't heal completely, if you're on a mission alone I swear I-"

    "Geez, Jace, that's bullshit. I'm like so done of having to lie to y'all, but I'm also done of seeing you guys throw sympathetic looks at me. I hate that"

    "What -- What are you talking about?"

    "I won't tell you that through a freaking phone. Also, I was serious about the coffee shop. This is your last chance, you want something?"

    "Yea, it's her, but-" I heard Jace arguing and then a loud noise, as the phone was being thrown in different directions. I furrowed my eyebrows, confused. -- "Okay, I was saying.. what was I saying?"

    "Seriously, Jace, I gotta go. I need to brush some thoughts away"

    "At least talk to Alec? I get that there may be things I don't know, I have been away for weeks. But you and Alec always seem to find equilibrium to anything, and the chemistry you two have is insane. I'm actually jealous, though. But, seriously, talk to him. You're like bff-s now, right?"

    "Bye Jace" I hung up.

➹➹➹

    I kept walking and eventually reached the metro station. I travelled the whole way to Central Park, just to find it full filled with demons. Seriously? I breathed heavily as I grabbed the two Seraph blades tied to my back, usually covered by a glamour. Let's do this.

    I stabbed the first two demons with a air flip while I kicked another one with my free leg. I ran on the side wall and hit multiple of them, then stabbing them all. It was kind of relieving, actually. And mind-freeing. Nice. But, hey, I get distracted a second and this huge demon pushes me against a tree violently.

    "Angry much?" I sighed breathlessly, holding my left arm. Right, the scratch. -- "Dang it, am I getting alzheimer?"

    "Really, Rach?" a voice scolded me.

    "Ohmygod you're such a stalker. Leave me alone, Lightwood" a chuckle left my lips unwillingly.

    "You need to concentrate. If I hadn't found you-"

    "Oh my Angel, here we are again. Thank you, my hero. You saved my life again. Uh, it never happened before" I joked with a cold chuckle.

    "Where are your runes?" he ignored my sarcasm and eventually asked.

    "I covered it up" I slid on the grass and crossed my legs together.

    Alec copied my gesture and, to my surprise, he sat next to me. On the grass. Alexander Lightwood was sitting on the grass. That had to be the weirdest day ever. Was I dreaming?

    "Why?" he breathed out, "Why would you do that?"

    "I just needed a break, I guess" I sighed, when a thought suddenly popped in my head. -- "Wait. Did you take the metro?"

    I finally raised my head up and locked eyes with him. His lips slowly curved up in a glimpse of smile as he blushed. -- "Oh my Angel, you did!" I laughed.

    "I'd rather not speak about that" he chuckled. -- "What's up with you lately?" he turned dead serious again.

    "I don't know, I'm probably losing my mind" I sighed and softly lay my head on his left shoulder.

    "No, you're not" he chuckled again, as he slowly moved his left arm to my legs and placed it there. -- "You know I hate to admit it but, we're part humans. So that's basic, feelings and all"

    "I guess" I moved my eyes away from his pretty face and looked at the view instead. There was a quiet silence, which I appreciated. But that was Alec being the comprehensive precious soul he had always been. Sometimes, when one of us didn't want to speak, we just sat there in silence.

    "Please don't push me away" he whispered as he moved his left arm from my legs so he could wrap it around my shoulders.

    "Alec, I'm so sorry" I cried and quickly pushed my head against his chest so he couldn't see me cry. However, his grip tightened, as he knew I was sobbing against his now-wet-with-tears black shirt.

    "It's okay" he assured me, while running his fingers through my hair. -- "Everything's fine. I'm right here. I'm not giving up on you, okay?"

    "M-Maybe you should" I sobbed helplessly against his chest.

    "I will never do that, you hear me?" he blew a soft kiss on my head as he held me even tighter.

    In his arms I felt at home. It's hard to explain, but he was my comfort-zone. You know, that place that wipes away all your fears and worries, that makes you feel safe and sound. I snuggled up to him and sniffled him up a little.

    "Alec" I called quietly without breaking the hug ever. -- "About the curse"

    "I know" he breathed out, "It doesn't matter now"

    "Wait. You know?" I pulled away a little, my eyes still puffy and red for too much crying.

    "Shorty, I know you too well. Sometimes I just let you think you can hide things from me, but-" he chuckled, "You're an open book to me"

    "Not always" I stated, but it almost sounded like a question. I hoped the answer was that he wasn't always aware of what I felt. I didn't want him to know about my feelings. Ever.

    "That's what bothers me the most" he smiled sheepishly, "You somehow manage to keep things away from me without me noticing"

    "Good" a sigh of relief slipped out from my mouth.

    "What" he laughed, "What are you trying so hard to hide from me?"