The Forets's Secrets

I was probably as normal as it got, nothing was special about me, I didn't have a special talent, so I was just normal, but, I did know how to deal with things that other normal people didn't know how to deal with, but I wouldn't call that something special. To start off everything happened on a Friday night, in my house with two fighting parents. This usually always happens on Friday because this is the end of the week, and they let everything go on each other. Me and my little brother, Dakota, hiding in my room like we do every Friday night with the door locked playing I spy, he was only 9 years old so it was something fun to do to past the time. "I spy, hmm, something blue!" He said. I already knew that it was my shirt because that's what he had been picking the whole 30min. Of our I spy game. "My shirt maybe?" I said trying to sound like I didn't know what it was. "How do you always know Anna?" He asked smiling. Oh, I had so many reasons how I knew, but I kept it to myself. BAM! I herd something big get thrown up against a wall from the kitchen from where they were fighting, they never ever threw anything they would just hit, but not throw things. I grew stiff and my eyes were locked on the door. Dakota got close to me, he grabbed my hand I could tell he was petrified.

I slowly stood up with Dakota still firmly grasping my wrist. "Get in the closet and do not get out unless I tell you it's safe, understand?" I told him. His eyes grew wide and slowly walked in his closet not making a sound. I took a deep breathe, closed my eyes and thought be brave, because Dakota is counting on me, he's not counting on mom, or dad, he's counting on me to raise him and make sure nothing happens to him. I unlock the door, turn the handle, and slowly, step by step, make my way to the kitchen with out making a sound or being noticed. I was hiding behind a wall, and peeked my head to look into the kitchen. Our table had ripped duck tape on the sides, and one of the chairs was broken and scattered on the floor. What happened? My parents weren't in the kitchen, so I walked to the family room and what I saw my dad sitting in the couch gulping down a vodka bottle, with a cigaret in his other hand, his hand holding the cigaret was shaking. I backed away unnoticed backing into my mother. My mother was a tall beautiful woman with silky blond hair, and deep brown eyes. I had no idea why she had put up with my father for 14 years, they weren't even married, they never were, so you could say me and brother weren't supposed to be around.

I turned to look at my mother, her eyes were wide and you could tell by the bruises on her arms, and neck, she could deal with my dad anymore. "You need to get away, and you need to go now!" My mother whispered to me so my father couldn't here from the other room. My mom was never ready to be a mother, but she was some what caring to me when I was born. "Where do I go? I can't leave you!" I told her. "You need to go now Ann, but only you, you have to leave Dakota here," she said grabbing my arm quickly but silently running to her room. We rushed in there and she opened her dresser digging threw a drawer of clothes. She finally pulled put a small key. "You must not take anything with you but this key. Run to the fields and it will take an overnight trip, but you must go now. If you keep going through the night you will reach the middle forest, it's a large group of trees that is in the middle of the fields, walk in there quietly, and be ready to expect many things you wouldn't normally see," she said handing me the rusted gold key. "I am NOT leaving with out Dakota," I said firmly, "you don't know how to take care of him, you never a mother to him so how could he possibly stay here alone without me?" I questioned her. She rushed me to my room and told me I only had 1 minuet to say good bye, but I was not aloud to mention the key.

"Dakota, I'm going to be gone for sometime, but I don't know how long. Mother has promised to take care of you, and not let anything happen to you, she'll even play I spy with you," I said looking at Dakota, then turned and gave my mom a look, she knew what I was for. All Dakota said to me was "don't talk to the tree which stands the highest," I absolutely had no idea what that meant, and he was only 9 years old and said something that powerful. Dakota grabbed on to me giving me a tight hug. I kissed the top of his head, then looked at mom who was signaling for me to hurry. I told Dakota I loved him, got a last glimpse, and left. Could he have known where I was going, or known what was going on? I didn't even have time to think, mom was rushing me to a window and trying to open it with dad hearing. He was to drunk anyways and kept mumbling strange words to himself. As mom was trying to ply the window open, I looked at the key, it had writing on one side but I couldn't figure out what it said. The other side had a drawing of circle with a strange animal inside it, it looked like many animals combined as one. Mom finally plied the window open, it let out scratch sound, luckily it was quit enough for dad not to look. She looked at me with her big brown eyes and said, "I love you, you'll discover your past in the future. Go now." I nodded my head, and the shoved the key in my jean pocket. Once I was out, she immediately shut the window. I can't believe I was leaving, I was also just going to leave Dakota there with two monsters fighting in the house, but for some reason I felt like mom was right, I had to go to the middle forest.