Mozzarella

All I could say about it was that it hurt.

It wasn't like a dull pain, but it wasn't sharp, either. It just . . . hurt.

I threw away the notion of the pain and got ready for the day. I guess I haven't introduced myself. I'm Maki Harukawa, the Ultimate Child Caregi--

Wait, that's wrong.

Up until yesterday, I had been living that lie. The "Ultimate Child Caregiver" did not exist, so I was using that title. I'm actually the Ultimate Assassin, as that unforgivable grape announced so casually. Everything that could've went wrong with that title, did. Someone found out. Someone told the others. The others looked at me with disgust, hatred, and fear. I was a killer in a killing game.

I didn't want to kill anyone.

I'm getting off topic, anyway. This story isn't about Psychopath Elmo or my tragic backstory. This is about him. This is about us.

Kaito Momota, Luminary of the Stars. That's who I ended up falling for.

He was stupid, stubborn, and always did what he wanted. He was the epitome of all things dumb. He was also endlessly positive, and never gave up on anyone. Not on himself. Not on that detective boy, Shuichi. Not even on me. Kaito believed in his friends.

Wait, didn't I start telling the story already? Wow, did that take a turn. Sorry to get all down and stuff. Anyway, so I got ready for the day. A meal with eleven people, twelve including myself. The breakfast we had together daily normally eased tension among us, even if only a little bit. However, due to the chaos that Edgy Kim Jong Un pressured onto me, I was prepared for the worse.

And so the worst came down.

"Hello Assassin-san!" There he was. The Eggplant of Disaster. Kokichi Oma. "Are you here to kill these people?"

"Kokichi, that's a little much . . . " Shuichi replied.

"Whaaaaat? Do you want to welcome a cold-hearted killer into our group?"

"Maki's our friend! She hasn't killed anyone yet, and she never will!" There he was. Kaito, speaking up for me. "Right, Maki?" I gulped down the urge to roll my eyes. I said nothing of agreement nor disagreement. I stayed silent. "I didn't hear a 'no!'"

"You didn't? I thought she said it pretty clear," Kokichi retorted.

"Then you need your ears checked, dumbass," I replied. "I don't intend to kill any of you. Don't change my mind." I glared at him like my life depended on it. He visibly stiffened.

"Okay, I admit, I lied. So please, don't give me that face." I glared for another second or two, then moved on.

"Anyway, this is a serious problem. A killer in this environment must be in paradise!" I cringed at Angie's words. "Atua says we should tie her up and lock her in a room!"

"Kinky," Miu muttered.

"Oh, I'm not kinky, so you can't do that," I answered, using the inventor's word to my advantage. "I'll be leaving now."

"But you haven't eaten anything," Shuichi mentioned. I left with no response, and my stomach growled at my dumb move. On my way out, the monokubz – or what remained of them – questioned me, while I avoided them. I decided to go to my lab and hope that nothing happened.

---

A knock on the door of the lab startled me out of my thoughts. The lab didn't lock, so I had no choice but to let the person in.