1. Mary Jane

I shut my locker door as the strong smell drifted through the hallway. As if the people, and the smell of gym socks weren't enough. Kids hurried through the hallways of my school, tripping over each other like an overpopulated colony of ants. The smell was mostly coming from beside me, so I looked over, in hopes to glare at a few stoners. Of course. It was none other than the crew of unintelligent, illiterate assholes that think they rule the school. Nothing new. They laughed and looked like they were having a huge group discussion--probably on girls. I was unfortunate enough to have a locker close to Jason McCann. This meant that his putrid sibling, and all his stoner friends often lingered around. In other words, I had to see them, and smell the same weed-laced air almost everyday.

Let me tell you, Jason and I had an ongoing rivalry since I moved to this town. Believe it or not, he'd asked me out a couple of times, but I'd denied him, what with his shitty personality. He made everyone around him feel like complete garbage, not to mention, he slept around like he was getting paid for it. Jason was in the last year of high school, same as me, although the rest of his crew towered over him, as half of them were held back a year or two. He was arrested once, but you'd never guess looking at his more round, baby face. He looked like the innocent, yet annoying class clown, but he was far more than a few wisecracks, and everyone knew it.

Most of the school crowd had gone. After putting my books away, I took a quick look back at Jason. He looked at me and whispered something to a friend. I wonder what he'd said, but at the same time, I really didn't want to know. They laughed, and my cheeks became hot with anger and embarassment. I narrowed my eyes and smiled at him sarcastically for a split second. He did the same, and then we rolled our eyes at each other in a hateful manner. I slammed my locker shut, causing them all to stare. I then walked passed them, shoving Jason's shoulder with mine on the way. Their entire crowd "Oooh!" 'd and clapped. Slowly, the smell faded while I made my way to the main doors. My mom was already waiting outside. As soon as we got home, I plopped down on the couch and she disappeared into her office. Again.

My parents were...busy people. My Mom was a politician, and my Dad was a lawyer, and they never seemed to have time to do anything. I mean, I wasn't complaining, after all, I lived in comfort. It's just I had been spending most of my teenage years with my grandmother, because my parents were on business trips or just "didn't have time" to make dinner, or take me anywhere, or do anything. We never got along since my Mom's career really took off. They'd always be traveling, or on business trips, so I guess you can say my grandmother raised me.

That's mostly why I turned out the way I did. My parents encouraged expensive jewelry, bags and pricey dresses, while I was more leggings and a shirt or something. My parents would have spoiled me rotten, had it not been for my grandmother, and I'm kind of thankful that she was there to stop it.

I wandered upstairs to my room. It was what many people would call "huge." And it was; I just didn't like to say it. My entire house was huge, really. Funny, because no one lives here. When I first moved into town, no one would ever guess that my parents earned a lot, until they came over. I never showed it off, never spoke about it. To me, it wasn't something to brag about, if all it did was tear your family apart. Instead, it was something to be embarrassed about.

Everything changed when my Mom won the election, though. Then everyone knew who I was. Before all that, when we just bought the new house here, we met our neighbors--who lived a little down the road. Their daughter was the first person I'd met who went to the same school I was going to. Alexia. She was rich, no lie, and she knew exactly who my parents were when I moved in, due to my parents making friends with hers, hence assuming I was like her. That I could relate to her and everything. So Alex took the new girl under her wing. Soon enough, I'd discovered she was one of them.