What Goes Around Comes Around- Carter Reynolds

(C) BrielleDeLloyd 2014

"You said no violence… but how else am I supposed to have fun?” I said, as I passed the straightening iron through my hair. 

We were getting ready to go to dinner with Carter’s parents. They wanted to meet me, even though they had already knew who I was, i guess they wanted to get to know me, wanting to know more than “just being their daughter in law”.

“You can have fun by talking to my parents and getting to know them, and praying to God that Tailynne doesn’t show up.”

Oh that’s right, Carter’s ex might make a special appearance tonight. Yippe. I suggested that I would go armed, incase needed, but then again, where would I stash a gun while wearing a lightly skintight dress and would I really want my inlaw’s first impression to be “oh that one girlfriend that Carter had who brought a gun to our house in order to scare his ex.”? haha no thanks.

Tailynne was Carter’s ex-girlfriend before me. She was really crazy for him, wait, who am i kidding, she still is. She somehow managed to find out that we were going to Carter’s parents’ for dinner, and started tweeting out how she was going to make a “Special appearance”. I never really got to know who she really is, all we exchanged were dirty looks and insults. Our little interactions always made Carter upset in the end, but he never explained himself well. Was he upset at the fact that Tailynne was picking on me for being the new girlfriend, or was it something else? It got tense for the both of us, honestly, and I didn’t like it. But this time,  I wanted to do something else, I wanted to actually end those little encounters once and for all. But how was I gonna do that? What would I do without Carter’s parents thinking that he’s dating some sort of crazy psychopath who kills people?

Tailynne was no prize, to be honest. She gives me this huge confidence booster because whenever we saw her, she was a huge train wreck. Her hair was dry beyond repair, her attempts at wearing neon eyeshadow were a huge fail, and her outfit choices, well, let’s just say that they weren’t suitable for the eyes of a child. I was like the cute hot one in comparison to her. 

In other words, she kind of looks like Pennsyltucky from OITNB, just more.. colorful. 

We were both ready to go to dinner. I finally finished straightening my hair. It reached all the way down to about halfway through my back. The Red and blonde ombre I had dyed it contrasted on the black color of the dress perfectly. The dress was a mix of a long cocktail dress with a thick strap on one side, coated lightly with roses the same shade as the dress. I had boughten some flats that were a dark red, that were a bit darker than the red on my hair. Carter’s outfit was just a fancified version of what he usually wears. He decided to match the colors of my outfit. He wore a black blazer with a white t-shirt underneath. He had a pair of “skinny slacks” that easily passed as skinny jeans for formal events. He wore vans that were black all over. To top it all off, he wore a necklace with a cross on it. 

Standing next to him made me feel really short, i guess it was because I never really processed how tall he was, or how short I was. I observed “us” as we both stood in front of the mirror. I could tell he also was soaking in what was right in front of him. “Naya, you look perfect” Carter says as he gently grabs my waist, pulls me closer and lays a kiss on my forehead. It was cute whenever he did that. 

We got in the car, making our way to his parent’s house. “Should we stop by a store and bring something?” I asked Carter. “Nah, it’s fine like this”, he replies. He sounded tense. Was it because he was also worried that Tailynne might show up?