Avoid emotional emails

Here is a very good tip I received from a former work colleague: do not send out emotional emails when you are reeling with fresh anger, sadness or disappointment.

Feel the need to lash out against someone who has upset you? Hold back a second before you hit the send button.

Still feel like writing that email and sending it?

Okay, take one step at a time. Write that email.

Put that email away. Save it in draft. Do not hit the send button at this stage.

Then step out of the office.

Grab a tea, coffee, water, or some fresh air. Or, simply grab a magazine and take a five minute break.

Avoid venting or lashing out at the entire office. Try to maintain composure.

Return to your work area and try to focus on other tasks, including procedural tasks, which may help.

Are you calmer yet? However long it takes for you to calm down, it's worth the wait.

When you are feeling better, read the email you wrote.

If you feel the need to talk to whoever upset you, it is best to do this face-to-face or on the phone, rather than start an email war. If you feel the need to send it, then make sure that you edit your message so that it sounds assertive and firm.

Aggression only aggravates, like salt on a wound. Use concrete, credible examples to back up any statement that you make.

If the issue is serious, it is definitely worth chatting with your HR representative, especially if it concerns a form of workplace bullying. Bullying, unfortunately, does not stop in high school.

This is the world we live in. Play smart. Play fair. Play with dignity and strength.

A/N: Are there any topics you would like me to include in upcoming chapters? PM me