Chapter 19

I wasn't sure what time it was when I woke up, but I knew something was wrong and Jasper was by side before I could even comprehend the pain.

"Carlisle!" He called out, gently picking me up even though the slightest movement caused me to let out a yelp in pain. We were in Carlisle's office in the next second and Carlisle already had a place cleared off for me to lay down on.

"Laela, where's the pain coming from?" Carlisle asked. Jasper lifted the shirt up to reveal the mark traveling from my chest and down my stomach.

"Did this happen last night?" He asked and Jasper cut me off before I could answer.

"Yes. I saw it last night but she wouldn't go to you. She said it would be gone by today." He didn't sound mad or say it in an 'I told you so' kind of way, instead he was beyond concerned and was trying to help by sending waves of calming emotions my way. His hands ran through my sweat-soaked hair but nothing truly got rid of or distracted me from the pain.

"It's not the damn scratch that hurts." I groaned out, "It's my right side." Carlisle's gentle touch started down my side,

"Tell me when I'm touching where it hurts the most." His hands continued down my side until they came across my stomach and touched the lower, right side of my stomach.

"There." I said. His cool touch brought some relief but the pain was still enough to keep me from being able to truly focus.

"When was the last time you ate?" Carlisle asked.

"Yesterday morning. I felt sick the whole day but I just figured it was nerves with the extra vampires around." I answered. Carlisle kept his hand on my side, knowing I wouldn't be able to feel Jasper's touch on me.

"I know it hurts, Laela, but try taking deep breaths. You have appendicitis, but your body temperature could be enough to cause your appendix to rupture on its own." He told me. There was some relief in his diagnosis, but confusion lapped through it. "Rosalie!" Carlisle called. I heard Rosalie enter the room, not doubt the whole house heard what was happening.

"What do I need to do?" She asked, as ready as ever to help anyone in her family that needed it.

"I can't leave her in case her appendix ruptures, I need you to be extremely careful and go to the hospital and get as much morphine as you can. Her appendix has to come out but taking her there would cause too many issues." He told her, his voice a lot calmer than the energy in the room. He told her exactly where to find it and which hallways lacked cameras in the small hospital.

"I'll be back in ten minutes." She said.

"Make it five." Jasper said, looking up at her. Rosalie ignored her brother's comment and was out of the room just as quickly as she entered.

"Jasper, you're going to want to leave the room when she gets back." Carlisle warned him.

"Like hell I am." He argued though his eyes were still locked on my pain written face. I could still feel the waves of emotions coming off of him and I knew he was trying his hardest to comfort me.

"Jasper, leave when she comes back. You wouldn't be allowed in the back in a normal hospital, I'll be fine." I said, taking a few deep breaths so my voice came out steadier than it would have. He didn't argue, knowing that Emmett and Rosalie would drag him out if need be, instead he just nodded his head.

The next ten minutes passed by excruciatingly slow, but Rosalie was true to her word and walked back in with more morphine than when Carlisle had to reset my shoulder. Carlisle had a drip set up in under a minute with a large enough flow that the pain seemed to evaporate within three minutes. I felt Jasper kiss my head when the drugs started to kick in and everything around me started to fade out,