I wish.

Song for this short story :-
♥ Singing in the rain by Simple plan

As I uncover my eyes from underneath the covers, I hear the gentle tapping of raindrops against my bedroom window. These were my favourite kind of days were I didn't have to feel bad about not leaving my house.

I get up and rub my knuckles onto my eyes. I make myself a hot cup of coffee. I take a book with me upstairs and I plop myself down on the couch right underneath my window. Seeing the drops trickle down my window brings a sense of calmness within me. This was the time I could be alone and be myself. I read away and let every moment sink in as it was not going to last forever.
My cell interrupts my peace.

"Where the hell are you? I've left thirty texts, you haven't answered. It's already nine. You better be outside your house locking it. You've got to be here in an hour or you're so going to miss the first lecture." Ronnie practically shouts from the other side of the call.
I'm reminded of the reality.
"I'm on my way Ron, chill dude." I tell her and cut the call.

I'm not enjoying my coffee anymore, I'm gulping down that hot cup, burning my mouth.
I shower, change, brush my teeth again and pack my backpack. Powerbank, books, pens and everything else, check. Before grabbing my house keys I put on my headphones, no leaving without them and I'm finally out.
I hurry towards the bus stop, almost missing it. I enter the bus from the front and stand there panting and wet because of the rain. Running in the rains, just before lectures?  Sucks.
I get my ticket and now, I can enjoy my music. I do wish I had a seat to sit but hanging does it too.

I let out a sigh of relief, relived that I got at the bus stop on time. I would have missed it just by a minute.
The bus is crowded, very crowded.
I see an old lady who is trying her best not to trip when the bus driver applies the breaks. Seeing her like that, I speak to the young man who has been sitting on the reserved seat for old people, I ask him to get up and ask him to give the seat to the old lady. He does so, she smiles at me and blesses me.

After a few stops, I noticed a sweet face staring at me from the behind.
A tangled mess of curls, the sweet face had. His hair was lazily ruffled, the brown tips haphazardly pushed so they intertwined into each other. He was wearing headphones too, listening to music. I saw him looking at me and because I had caught him looking at me, he looked away, but had smile on his face. I looked away too, I wasn't sure if he was trying to make a contact or no. I was confused with his actions. Very much. But he seemed cute. After five minutes I was now "comfortable" with all that smiling.
We kept exchanging glances. Smiled often but I tried my best to ignore him for some reason and he was really making the efforts to show that he was interested in talking to me, somehow which was kind of impossible because I was very far ahead, at least eleven passengers in between us, and he was at the very end. All we could do was smile.
It was very pleasant, I had forgotten all the worries that I had in my mind.
Ten minutes of catching feelings and I drifted back into the music I was listening to. 

Finally the reserved seat for ladies were emptying. I got to sit. The seat besides mine was empty too. A lot of passengers got down. The bus was clearing. Quickly.
I sat on the seat that faced the back of the bus. I could see him, still staring at me, for all the weird reasons I didn't find that creepy, at all now.
I pulled out my phone, started texting Neil, he asked me to take a picture of him, by the time I opened the camera and looked up to click a picture of him, he was gone.  Out of sight. I felt a little sad but it was okay, I mean we would have never spoken anyway...  Or we could have? I'll never know, I thought.

I was so lost in thinking about where he must have got down or will I see him again.. I didn't notice the someone who was sitting right besides me. What the hell?  He was there, right beside me. I felt a chill down my spine. I was so nervous and trying to hide my panic.
His arm brushed mine, the touch was intentional. I tried to stay calm and collected. I opened my music, I was playing a particular song. Looking at my screen he pressed the power button on his phone and you won't even believe, he was listening to the same freaking song. He smiled and I looked out of the window and smiled.

"There Zoe, y'all have a conversation starter, talk about something, the least you can do is share your instagram username!"
My subconscious told me but I kept quiet in the moment.
We sat there, together for twenty minutes without talking, only smiling. Maybe he thought he might sound weird and creep me out, so he didn't talk.

Only five minutes later I had to get down..
He opened his mouth to speak but it was too late, I was about to get down.
I did. I hoped he'd get down, but he didn't.

After this incident, I caught the same bus, at the same time, the same place for a week hoping to see him again. I didn't.
So, always remember that you get only one chance or you'd keep thinking about all the "what ifs".. Don't miss the chance. Never. Ever.
Now I can only wish.

Zoe completed telling her story to her best friend.
"Man you're such a milksop!" Barney said.
" It wasn't only me who was a milksop though!" Zoe spoke in her defense.
Both of them laughed.
"Let's go grab some coffee?" Barney asked.
"Sure, why not? I mean, Mr. Sweet faced curly haired could be there too? " Zoe chuckled.
"Sure. " Barney winked.

[ Please do vote on this short story :')
Hope you liked it. It's not really very amazing, I know, but I'm trying my hand at writing. Let me know in the comment section.
Would you make the first move?
Let me know if you like short stories, I'll try writing more <3]